• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cost per round.. help a newbie please.

Your powder a bit over 3lbs/1000 rds. so say 3.3lbs +/- $70 worth. Hornady makes a nice 55 grain bullet $90/1000 bullets. Primers around $25/1000. Brass I can't count the cost as I have collected it for free or paid it out buying fully loaded ammo and picking it up.

So +/- $185 brass with a quality bullet that groups less than an inch in my bolt guns.

Georgia arms remanufactured brass cased .223 is $400/1000 rds. Internet search reflects about $300+shipping/1000 rds. of brass cased and Tula steel $209 +shipping/1000 rds.

I figure at worst around $135 saved per 1/k and my ammo is top shelf. But if you just shoot steel case +/- $24 per 1k will take a while to recoup any savings, unless accuracy is high on the priority list.

If you do it right your reloads are consistently more accurate than factory stuff. especially if you buy the cheap stuff. I recently bought a 223 bolt and ran some TulAmmo through it and thought the barrel was bad it was so erratic. Shot some old loads I had from a couple years ago and 1 jagged hole at 25 yd's.

Where and What do you guys get to be able to reload so cheap. Surplus in bulk?

You really need to buy in bulk to make any headway in savings with .223. With any caliber, I think the hardest thing to find reasonably priced is powder. If you can find a 4 or 8lb jug for a good price, you're golden.

You really need to buy in bulk to make any headway in savings with .223. With any caliber, I think the hardest thing to find reasonably priced is powder. If you can find a 4 or 8lb jug for a good price, you're golden.

Yep, and share the hazmat fees if able with other stuff.

Hornady 55 grain bullets on sale for 1000 ct box $78.05 + $6.95 Shipping. http://www.slickguns.com/product/hornady-224-55gr-fmj-bt-projectiles-1000-ct-85-shipped

Blems and pulldown bullets can offer a significant price reduction. Caution with the pull downs as some may have been damaged during the process.

Military surplus powders are great for reducing cost. Under $100 for 8 LBS. that will do over 2K rounds when in stock. https://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=278|283|999

Here is some great data: http://www.223reloads.com/home/223-5-56-info/223-5-56-reloading/wc-846-loads

I get range brass from a local hole in the woods range..
I get about a 5 gallon bucket full every two weeks..
So that drops my cost pretty well

The good ole days are gone. I used to buy 55 grain fmj 223 bullets at 180.00 for 6,000. I only bought 18,000 and kick my but everyday for not buying more. Powder was 16 to 18 per pound. Primers 1.5 cents each so I could reload with picked up brass for a song. say about 10 to 11 cents a round.

I am new to reloading hobby.. I would like to know some average cost for 223 Specially, but welcome all. If you would put cost of brass, bullets, powder, and primers.. thank you do much.
Go to GunBuddy.com, it will give all current round costs. I hope this helps.

Well for me its no different than loading pistol calibers!
the trick for me is to first order online, and in volume (volume being 250-300 bucks plus of stuff).
powders run from 17-24 dollars per pound, if you buy 6-8 pound jugs its cheaper than that, primers run about 24 bucks per K, projectiles for the 223/556 I have gotten all copper FMJBT 55 grainers for less than 6 cents per projectile, and they go up depending on what the projectile is.
now for me to order I need to pay a 40 dollar charge for shipping and haz mat fee, but that's still much, much cheaper than buying locally.
plus I walk to my front door and pick it up, I don't drive around town looking for it, and I don't pay sales tax on it.
I am also at the 12-17 cents per round, again depending on projectile type.
I try to discourage everyone form doing this so there will be more available for me however.

Back
Top Bottom