• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Could You Come Up With $400 If Disaster Struck?

could i come up with 400 dollars in a disaster? sure, but what good is money in a disaster (maybe my definition of disaster is different than other folks)

We got into trouble with credit card debt when we were younger, and started living paycheck-to-paycheck. I had to borrow money from a good friend a few times just to make it through the week, We shut down all of our credit card accounts, made payoff arrangements, and learned to get our finances in order. I now have savings for times when emergencies hit. Lessons learned. And you can bet I'll be teaching my kids about how to keep their finances in order so they don't have to go through the same thing.

We taught our kids early. Whenever they got money for Birthdays or Christmas etc 1/2 would be put in their savings account and they could spend the other half!

Oldest graduated college with no student debt and the youngest is on track to do the same.

Speaking of $400.... I was laid off in a restructuring on the 1st. I spent time on 4 different days last week making just under $500. Did I "need" it? Well no, we're far from starving or missing a payment on anything thank God. Was it less than I made every single day for a hell of lot less work in my normal career? Yep. But I still got off my rear end and did it because that's what you do when others are depending on you. I get that some people have no choice but scraping by and one minor issue is a 'disaster' but most of us are simply where we are due to the choices we make.

Yet Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace program is out there and available for those who get sick and tired of being sick and tired.

We should teach financial literacy in schools

Agree 100%. We need to teach kids about CC debt and student loan debt for that matter. Taking 60k out in student loans for a liberal arts degree is ludicrous!

I would love to see a "Real World Economics" in the school system!

Agree 100%. We need to teach kids about CC debt and student loan debt for that matter. Taking 60k out in student loans for a liberal arts degree is ludicrous!

I would love to see a "Real World Economics" in the school system!

Absolutely, something a simple as going to a 2 year community college and transferring the a larger well known school could save a bunch of money. just need to ensure the credits will transfer!

best thing we ever done about 15 years ago was pay off credit cards and cut them up. I put money and Ammo back every week for emergencies! We have always kept at least 6 months food in stock! We both came up poor but we have never went hungry or done with out! I know folks live pay check to pay check and have to borrow during week. I worked for guy back in 70s who cleared $1800 a week after paying me $200 and by Wednesday I was having buy his lunch. He couldn't manage money. It isn't what you make but how you save and spend! I can come up with $400 in penny's . I save every piece of change I get each day. Penny's in five gallon jar other change in quart jars when full goes in closet. Saving change over ten years are so really adds up. Just save something!

Back
Top Bottom