• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Coyote gun help.

You should not have any problem keeping “minute of coyote” at 300 yards with your rifle and iron sights. I would nearly guarantee that it will shoot better then you can at that short distance. This is even with Lake City surplus ammo. Get some decent/name brand ammo and you will be remarkably accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should not have any problem keeping “minute of coyote” at 300 yards with your rifle and iron sights. I would nearly guarantee that it will shoot better then you can at that short distance. This is even with Lake City surplus ammo. Get some decent/name brand ammo and you will be remarkably accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is good to know thank you!

Also thank you all others for the input!

I shoot fiocci 50 gr vmax In both of my rem r 15 they shoot really good out of 1-9 twist barrels.

Coyotes are quick..a flat shooting round makes it a lot easier... 5.56/.223 has a great selection of hunting ammo.
Find some place to shoot 100 to 300 yards.

Place saucer sized paper plates at various distances.(or shooting clays/water bottles)
If you can put rounds upon the target in a timely manner from standing/sitting position..your good to go.

If not make changes in your equipment, and practice more.
Ball fmj is NOT for hunting..ok for practice..but you need to zero and shoot a hunting round for your rifle.

I like a scope. Zero the scope to your prefence but you want the bullet to hit within an 8" circle with the same aim through out your min max hunting range.

UNLESS it has a Bullet drop reticicle. then zero to the manufacturers directions, your choice.
AR15's I like 1x4 to a 1x8 scope for flexability.
( I have a Nikon Coyote 3x9 scope..great scope but have moved to 1x6 and 1x8 power.
If you go with to much magnification and something pops up close by you can blow a shot or have trouble staying on target due to the field of view being to tight.

Trigger..buy a good trigger like the Larue MBT-2s for $87
If you buy SuperSlimsAWESOMEsauce hair trigger and it goes off accidentally when you don't want it too you will:
Blow the shot
Look like an idiot
Maybe cause damage to person or property.

Hair triggers are for benchrest guns and snipers not normal hunting.
( No we all think we are Long Trang but the reality is think about the guy walking behind you with a loaded gun and a hair trigger.I was fourth in the stack and saw the breacher take a round in the back from #3 after a miss step. The trigger was later determined too light after it had seen a alot of use plus operator negligence.
LUCKILY is was SIMUNITION training exercise...but what if...that is why you train.)

So:
Glass and Trigger are a must with good ammo imho.

If adding those don't help do barrel research.
Find someone/a shop to order and install it.

But in some cases a Ruger American bolt gun in .223 is way cheaper than a really good barrel and trigger.

All the best gear is nothing without practice, skill and confidence in your abilities.

Back
Top Bottom