• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Coyote Help.....

jcountry

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
13   0
Reaction score
Got a group of those little turds running around.

Heard them a couple of times in the middle of the night.

I have never hunted these damn things before, but I may try and blast these damn things.

Any tips/tricks for terminating their existence with extreme prejudice?

Is it legal to shoot on your property?
How about shooting at night? Would your neighbors be OK with it? What if you let them know ahead of time that you're going to be doing some night shooting to decimate a pack of 'yotes?

I've never taken a 'yote, but I traded a bolt action .22LR rifle for one in .22 WMR specifically so I'd have a good "suburban" varmint control rifle that's not any noiser than it needs to be, but still packs way more punch than a .22 lr.

If noise is not an issue, I'd break out my .223 Remington model 700 or the Savage model 10 in .243 Win caliber.

Yep.

I live in the country. Ain't no one around who would care if I popped some yotes.

I have a mossberg MVP which would be good for the task.

I'm wondering if people have any luck around dusk, what kinds of calls are good, or whether it's pretty much a night endeavor. I don't have night optics. (Yet.) But I may get some to rid myself of these turds. We had turkey around, but I haven't seen them since I heard the yotes.

Cheap method. Tie some large bird feathers to a stick on a short line and stake it down. Get a cheap hand call. Position yourself towards the decoy with the wind in your face. Wounded/ distressed rabbit and rodent sounds are very easy to make. Just try to sound like an erratic screaming crying animal/crying baby. Be camouflaged well and stay as still as possible. Call for a few minutes and wait for a few minutes. Then call again. Scan the area bc they come running in fast. When u are ready to shoot make a loud squeaky noise or yell high pitched "woo woo" to get them to stop and look around. Center your cross hairs and take your shot within a couple seconds or they'll start moving again.

U can also get some stinky rotting meat like old chicken left out in a bucket with lid in the sun for a couple days and or any other rotten food.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheap method. Tie some large bird feathers to a stick on a short line and stake it down. Get a cheap hand call. Position yourself towards the decoy with the wind in your face. Wounded/ distressed rabbit and rodent sounds are very easy to make. Just try to sound like an erratic screaming crying animal/crying baby. Be camouflaged well and stay as still as possible. Call for a few minutes and wait for a few minutes. Then call again. Scan the area bc they come running in fast. When u are ready to shoot make a loud squeaky noise or yell high pitched "woo woo" to get them to stop and look around. Center your cross hairs and take your shot within a couple seconds or they'll start moving again.

U can also get some stinky rotting meat like old chicken left out in a bucket with lid in the sun for a couple days and or any other rotten food.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pretty good info right here. I've had my best luck right around dusk.

Trapping is not very good in the spring and summer. Usually a lot of time wasted and very little success trapping.

Reasons:

Fawns hitting the ground
Doe delivering fawns makes a good double kill
Trapping, and baiting in spring and summer gathers large amount of "FIRE ANTS" and other insects that ruin the bait they will not eat bait with fire ants and other various insects on it, however armadillos will...

If you hunt at night,
Call your local DNR WARDEN, and tell them the area and location
Call your local Sheriff/Police department and alert them also
Let neighbors what is going to happen also

Hunting at night can have several experiences to long remember if sitting on the ground, snakes will want to get close to a warmer area you may be it.

just a heads up.

Coyotes are extremely fun to hunt IF you know what you are doing. They are smart. They smell, see, and hear exceptionally well. I use Nightvision when hunting them, so it's a whole new way of hunting. I also use a Primos electronic call. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom