• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Crap landscaping job. What do I do next?

So I hired a landscaper to to a little grading, lay new sod and build a dry creek bed in our very small back yard. We’d had drainage issues from day one and it was time to fix it 100%. Fast forward to now the job is “done” and we still have places on the new sod where water stands, the drain pipe he birdied is full of mud and won’t drain and the dry creek bed is about 2/3 finished. He offered no solution when I brought up the issues and won’t make time to come see the problems while my wife or I are home. I haven’t heard from him since trying to have him meet at the house and today he resent me the original invoice expecting payment. I tried to call after getting the invoice and got no answer or return call. What do I do?? Most of what he did will need to be redone!

I have been in the construction business for over 40 years....absolutely, positively do not pay him a penny! otherwise he has no incentive to come back and do it correctly. If you pay him a partial payment , his logic for not coming back is the he can go do another job and make more money than what you owe him. Then you will have to pay someone to remove his work, then again to have it done properly. Do not pay ANYTHING until you are 100% satisfied.

Please trust me and the other people on this thread...all very good advice

Certified letter stating exactly what needs to be completed to "industry standards" and you will pay the full amount when "satisfactory completion" by xx date. If not completed you will hire another contractor to finish the work to "industry standards" and either pay him the difference or seek payment to recover your cost.

Not a penny!

Certified letter stating exactly what needs to be completed to "industry standards" and you will pay the full amount when "satisfactory completion" by xx date. If not completed you will hire another contractor to finish the work to "industry standards" and either pay him the difference or seek payment to recover your cost.

Not a penny!

This is a good start. Definitely put an end date. This guy looks like he's going to drag his heels.

Back
Top Bottom