• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cross eye dominant

elfin445

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
Banned Permanently
0   0
Reaction score
i have a twelve year old boy thats is showing a lot of interested in shooting and even hunting. i am so happy that we can both do things together and spend some quality time but i notice he is right handed but uses his left eyes o aim. i will like to ask you guy here if this is something i should be worry about. if so how do i approach this and make him use his right eyes? will appreciate your real life experiences.

if so how do i approach this and make him use his right eyes?

Why? Cross eye dominance is very common, and not a big deal. Most cross dominant shooters simply shoot handguns right handed but use their left eye, and shoot long guns left handed. There's no reason to try to "fix" it.

I'm cross dominant and shoot everything right handed except shotguns for skeet/clays. Shooting with both eyes open doesn't bother me with most long guns, but I find skeet to be difficult if I don't shoot left handed.

Why on earth would you discourage someone from using their dominant eye?? I cant imagine the benefit. Shooting left handed has never been a handicap and as a few have already posted shooting right handed with the left eye is doable.....

I once helped a friends daughter that was having a heck of a time hitting the broad side of a barn from the inside. Discovered she was left eye dominant. After a while she decided she was more comfortable shooting a pistol right handed with her left eye and then both eyes after a while. Handed her a 10/22 and then an AR15 she immediately shouldered it left handed and outshot her dad and brother.....no real issues. Most folks will find their comfort zone if allowed to.

Why? Cross eye dominance is very common, and not a big deal. Most cross dominant shooters simply shoot handguns right handed but use their left eye, and shoot long guns left handed. There's no reason to try to "fix" it.

I'm cross dominant and shoot everything right handed except shotguns for skeet/clays. Shooting with both eyes open doesn't bother me with most long guns, but I find skeet to be difficult if I don't shoot left handed.

well i feel he is struggling a little, i just want hom to know the basics first, later on here can choose what ever eyes or hand that feels natural to him.

A piece of masking tape over his left eye when shooting. Eventually he won't need it anymore.

I'm the same way, other than bolt guns it's not much of a problem.

I love shooting Right handed bolt guns left handed. I wouldn't own a left handed bolt gun.

well i feel he is struggling a little, i just want hom to know the basics first, later on here can choose what ever eyes or hand that feels natural to him.

He's going to learn the basics a lot faster and easier shooting with his dominant hand and eye.

Imagine someone telling you to learn the basics of writing with your left hand, and that you could switch later if you wanted.

i have a twelve year old boy thats is showing a lot of interested in shooting and even hunting. i am so happy that we can both do things together and spend some quality time but i notice he is right handed but uses his left eyes o aim. i will like to ask you guy here if this is something i should be worry about. if so how do i approach this and make him use his right eyes? will appreciate your real life experiences.

Just let him shoot left handed. I do everything right handed, but shoot, slingshot, pool, bow, and long guns.
I can shoot a pistol with either hand, but lead with my left eye.
I throw predominately right handed.
I don't own or care to own any left handed firearms.

Back
Top Bottom