• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

CST trimmer

SOLGardener

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
57   0
Reaction score
I had posted a link to this in a thread some time back, and just bought one, so I thought I'd share some brief impressions.

I bought the CTS trimmer (you'll have to search) in .223 as I have a bit of brass to process.

My RCBS trimpro takes about 30-40 minutes to trimmer 100 pieces, then there's deburring, which takes another 10-15 minutes.

So I got the CTS trimmer. Put it in my Dewalt drill and rigged the drill in my vice.

I put a zip tie around the trigger and adjusted to somewhere between 500-1000rpm.

I trimmer 500 pieces of brass in 15 minutes. The burr on the cases is significantly less, and trimming took about 20 minutes (just light twisting needed, not a couple turns per piece).

I ended up trimming 1,500 pieces in under an hour total.

Trim length is set by using a good case and it held for at leat 500 pieces. I did see about a .004" creep and I think that was due to a couple things- me pressing the brass too hard in the trimmer, too much speed, not tight enough on the set screws.

The price was $48 shipped and I gave $2 to JPFO.

the guy that makes them posts them on ebay. If he has them in stock, the post is active. When he's out, he pulls the ad.

A caveat is that the set up is based on same headstamp brass. I use LC only, but of varying years. I have no issues with brass ranging from late 60's to 2008.

The trimmer uses a plastic bushing to "headspace" off the case neck. I guess the plastic buching could wear eventually, but after 1,500, I've found no wear except a bit of scratching from brass shavings getting trapped between the case and the plastic. That was my fault. I should have angled it from the start so the shaving would fall out. It wouldn't be an issue in a drill press.

I highly recommend it for cutting brass prep time.

until I got my Dillon electric trimmer, I used the possum hollow trimmers... very similar to the CTS and WFT but way cheaper

I now use them for any 308 based case or 30-06 based case.

The RCBS power case trimmer with the three way cutter produces ready to load brass.

It ain't the lowest cost option, but I admit that I'm very pleased with mine.

In the beginning I got the powered unit due to physical limitations with my hands, I wish I'd invested in the three way cutters much sooner.

I have them for my high volume calibers and I'd never go back by choice.

I had 2 of them. One for 223 one for 308. Finally got rid of them! You had .004, I had .007! Oh well. Live and learn.

I switched to the Dillon 1200B trimmer. Problem solved.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom