Custom Damp Box and Iron boiling pan

loadnplenty

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
197   0
Reaction score
So after doing my 35 Remington and seeing how easy it was, I decided to get make a damp box and get a boiling pan. I started pricing lumbar and came up with around $50. Then I saw this meatl tool box sitting outside a pawnshop. So for $60 out the door it was going to be my damo box. I figured it would save alot of time instead of building one. I put wooden dowls at the yop with hangers to hang parts from. Lightbilb in the middle and one at the bottom under the water pan. I placed my pan a little higher than I have seen most done after looking around the internet for a day or so. Since most are made out of wood and this one is not it gets plenty hot. During the day time when the heat is up I usually unscrew the middle bulb just to where it is not on and leave it in. At night when the temp is down I use it. And since I had some casters laying around, I put them on there also so I can move it around as needed when not in use.

My pan was made for me by a friend, in turn I am rust bluing one of his rifles now as we speak. It is larger then most I have seen but thats how I wanted it.

The heat this damp box gives has actually been a great. My buddy did not want a bead blasted look on his rifle with the rust blue finish. So after hanging the parts in here for about an hour, I will pull them out and apply the Pilkingtons while to pores are opened up and put them back in. And in 12 to 24 hours I have a very fine rust on the metal. This gun will probably take 10 or more applications but is starting to take on some color.

Wow. Darn fine reuse of a truck tool box. Suggestion: grommet the cables where it comes in the box to prevent chafeing and make sure the outlets are properly grounded. Can't wait to see the rusty parts hangin in there.

Wow. Darn fine reuse of a truck tool box. Suggestion: grommet the cables where it comes in the box to prevent chafeing and make sure the outlets are properly grounded. Can't wait to see the rusty parts hangin in there.

The wiring in actually secured on the backside. It is run to a light switch so as I can turn it on and off as needed without having to move anything. Maybe tomorrow i can show some rusty parts lol.

Back
Top Bottom