(D) Senator trying to reverse stand your ground. (R) Senator Ligon's response.

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
A Democrat wants to end your right to stand your ground under a bill titled SB 280:
http://endstandyourground.wordpress.com/2014/01/28/end-stand-your-ground-georgia/

My email to Senator Ligon:

Senator Ligon,

I hope the law abiding gun owners in the state of Georgia can count on you to fight against and vote down SB 280. Law abiding gun owners in Georgia know that criminals do not obey or respect any gun laws in Georgia. This bill is just another attempt by a liberal politician to strip away the citizens rights to protect themselves and their families from criminals that seek to do them harm. This bill gives the criminal the upper hand. The sponsor of this bill should do more to enforce the current laws in existence. The sponsor of this bill should do more to punish criminals that prey on law abiding citizens. Thank you for your time and support of our gun rights in Georgia.

This is his response:

John,

Thank you for your email. I support an individual’s right to defend themselves and oppose any legislation that attempts to diminish that right. That being said, I oppose SB 280. Thanks again for the email and voicing your opinion on this matter. It is a pleasure to serve you and our community.
Senator William T. Ligon, Jr.
Third Senate District
www.senatorligon.com

Last edited:
This should be a state law issue anyhow.

I see no way that the feds could enforce any change to stand your ground laws. It has absolutely nothing in the world to do with interstate commerce.

They'll classify it as a human rights issue and obama will sign an executive order. Problem solved.

They'll classify it as a human rights issue and obama will sign an executive order. Problem solved.

I think there would still need to be some kind of human rights treaty ratified for something like that.

And even so, I don't think it would fly.

(But-hell, I would have sworn that the patriot act and obamcare would never have been held up either.)

This is the other side of the coin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duty_to_retreat

Some states (Mass, I think) used to have law which codified the "duty to retreat." This meant that someone would have to try to leave their own house to avoid using their gun to defend themselves. Even to the point of exiting through a second story window if available.

Stand your ground is important. It may seem like common sense, but if you are outside of your home, some states still have some kind of "duty to retreat." If they somehow kill "stand your ground" , then it will be much harder to avoid legal troubles after defending yourself. Of course, anti-gunners would love that. The more trouble they can cause for us, the better.

A Democrat wants to end your right to stand your ground under a bill titled SB 280:
http://endstandyourground.wordpress.com/2014/01/28/end-stand-your-ground-georgia/

My email to Senator Ligon:

Senator Ligon,

I hope the law abiding gun owners in the state of Georgia can count on you to fight against and vote down SB 280. Law abiding gun owners in Georgia know that criminals do not obey or respect any gun laws in Georgia. This bill is just another attempt by a liberal politician to strip away the citizens rights to protect themselves and their families from criminals that seek to do them harm. This bill gives the criminal the upper hand. The sponsor of this bill should do more to enforce the current laws in existence. The sponsor of this bill should do more to punish criminals that prey on law abiding citizens. Thank you for your time and support of our gun rights in Georgia.

This is his response:

John,

Thank you for your email. I support an individual’s right to defend themselves and oppose any legislation that attempts to diminish that right. That being said, I oppose SB 280. Thanks again for the email and voicing your opinion on this matter. It is a pleasure to serve you and our community.
Third Senate District
www.senatorligon.com

My E-Mail to Senator Ligon after seeing Testdepth's reply from him:

Regarding your stance on SB280:

"I support an individual’s right to defend themselves and oppose any legislation that attempts to diminish that right. That being said, I oppose SB 280. Thanks again for the email and voicing your opinion on this matter. It is a pleasure to serve you and our community."
Third Senate District
www.senatorligon.com

Your statement contradicts itself. A man who contradicts other men because of his beliefs may be a man of great conviction, however you cannot rest in the words of a man who contradicts himself. The words “I” and "I am" are potent words; be careful what you hitch them to. The thing you're claiming has a way of reaching back and claiming you. I am glad you do not serve my community your arrogant philanthropy is only revered by those who can afford to surround themselves with the company of Elitists like yourself who's lofty status makes them feel they must dictate their recommended best practices and ideologies to the common man without necessarily adhering to them themselves, or joining in the common mans fate.

With that being said let me correct your statement in a non-contradictory fashion that reflects what your actions represent not your unintelligible statement above:

"I do not support an individuals right to defend themselves and support attempts at diminishing that right. That being said I appose SB280".

Doesn't this flow a little better? Mr. Ligon?

This should be a state law issue anyhow.

I see no way that the feds could enforce any change to stand your ground laws. It has absolutely nothing in the world to do with interstate commerce.

It is a state issue, Fort is a libreal Democrat state senator who seeks every opportunity to get attention for himself. There is no chance of this passing in Georgia

Back
Top Bottom