• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

huntin42

Default rank <750 posts Supporter
Chris, GREAT DAY!
73   0
Reaction score
Hey, this is only my 2nd post in C&R, so please be kind if I misrepresent something. Learned a good bit from my 1st post about my Mauser so I figured I'd try an see what I can figure out about this one. I've done a little research but some of you may know more or can point me in the right direction to learn more.
Gun was left to me by my father. I used to have 2 mags but can only seem to find 1 now. Also have the original (I think) holster -will post a pic of it when I get home - big Brown/tannish leather with fold over flap with space for additional mag.
Markings on gun say: Fabrique National D'arms de Guerra S.A Herstal Belgique - Browning Patent Depose. Better known as a Browning 1922 from my understanding. Gun is old and has seen some use but functions well and is mechanically solid. All the numbers match on the frame, barrel, and bolt. Stamps on frame and slide also match. From my understanding (which isn't much) it was chambered in a 9mm kurz, which is the same as a .380? I have shot 380's through it just fine. The "mm" in the 9mm on the bolt is somewhat hard to read, but you can certainly tell it's not the .32 cal. The grips are pretty worn an bluing has some light spotting. But I took it out this wkend with some cheap .380's an had only one failure to feed through 6-7 mags. So the gun works just fine! Trying to figure out a date/year of manufacture and a value. Have seen them on gunbroker from 400 to 1200. Gun belonged to my dad who passed away when in 1997 when I was 8 so I have no clue of where it came from or how he got it. My grandfather was in WWII and Korea but I don't believe this was his gun - very well could have been - just figure I would have remember hearing that.
Any information at all would be greatly appreciated! I will post some pictures in the add, if I need to take more or take some of anything specific, let me know and I will do so!
Thanks, Chris
20160823_203850.jpg
20160823_203759.jpg
20160823_203753.jpg
20160823_203841.jpg

Attachments

• 20160823_202738.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 6
It may just be reflections, but it looks like it may have been reblued at some time in the past. Some rounding from polishing when it was done and the way the "Fabrique" is washed out. Also the muzzle 'cap' looks to exhibit a different finish and wear pattern. Probably pre wwii manufacture, those aren't the proofs the germans used when they were in control.

It sounds like the holster may be german issue, they used a lot of them for Luftwaffe and non front line use. Earlier style grips, look to be well worn. You can probably get a date range from the serial number with a bit of googling.

It may just be reflections, but it looks like it may have been reblued at some time in the past. Some rounding from polishing when it was done and the way the "Fabrique" is washed out. Also the muzzle 'cap' looks to exhibit a different finish and wear pattern. Probably pre wwii manufacture, those aren't the proofs the germans used when they were in control.

It sounds like the holster may be german issue, they used a lot of them for Luftwaffe and non front line use. Earlier style grips, look to be well worn. You can probably get a date range from the serial number with a bit of googling.

Thanks so much for giving your time to reply! I will try an look up the serial numbers again an see if I can narrow it down a little more! Didn't know that about the German proofs; I've seen some with the nazi swastikas on them but mine doesn't have that obviously. Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom