• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Decent NV monocular?

First, define your mission. If it’s random guy hiking in the woods happy to throw some IR? A SiOnyx sport or pro on a bump helmet would do, and be under $1k for everything.

If you want to stay passive (no IR) and get into some real world tactical use, a Gen 3 pvs-7 ($1500+) or pvs-14 ($2500+) is where it’s at.

If you are trying to weaponize whatever you end up with, remember IR lasers and lights cost 3x the visible version.

Thanks for the reply Steve, good info. No, I'm not going tactical and I doubt if poachers would be using NV passive or IR. I was thinking something handheld for peering into shadows. I'm going on 73 years of age and shouldn't be walking alone in the woods at night but.. seems like fun.

I have a set of PVS-14s that I use to set up in the morning for hunts so I'm totally passive and don't give off any light. They're Gen 3 refurbs I got for $2k awhile ago, dunno if you can find deals like that anymore.
You don't need a helmet to mount NVGs, Crye makes a nice Night Cap that's breathable, way more compact and lighter:

OWVjZTY1Zi5qcGc

Also, if you're into 3D printing or know anyone that is, there's a few different sets of homebrew knock-offs that use IR drone cameras and can make pretty decent stuff for around the $300 to $600 mark for parts, not including 3D printing materials, which is minimal if you have your own. They're nowhere near PVS-14 or other true phosphor tube quality, but they're at least something. You'll be able to see dim lights much better at night and at least get an extra half hour or so of operating time before/after sunup/down during new moon.

I have no experience with this unit.
It looks like a budget friendly option.

@ Surt,
The Crye night cap looks like a nice option for donning the NVGs.
Thanks!

I got a package from JRH Enterprises called the night fighter package.Prices have gone up but they are pretty competitive and are here in Georgia.They sell thermal too.Now Im pricing thermal and getting sticker shock again.Selling a few guns to get a weapon mounted thermal and another can.

Attachments

• NVTOYS.jpeg
    NVTOYS.jpeg
    187.4 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom