Deer and Beef jerky questions

mhayes

Default rank <1000 posts Lifetime Supporter
Frontiersman
43   0
Reaction score
So I used to let different processors that I’ve used make my jerky for me. Now two of them that I liked are now out of business. So I started making my own a few years ago. I slice it and smoke it myself with store bought seasons. Not that I have not enjoyed my own but I e been seeing a new ways (to me) that I am curious as to what most of you guys do.
1. Who uses ground and one of those caulk guns to make their jerky? How does it come out if smoked? What type of texture does it have after it’s cooked?
2. Who has used a dehydrator instead of a smoker? Which do you like better?
3. What do you use for seasoning? Make your own or do you have a favorite brand, or flavor?

Thanks for any information. I am looking int going to ground as I think it will be easier and you won’t have to deal with the tough fat etc.

Matt

I used to make all of my jerky from ground deer in a dehydrator, and it is hands down the easiest to chew and tastes as good or better than any sliced jerky. The "caulking type gun usually comes with two tips for strips or sticks and in my opinion does a fantastic job.

i use strips, marinate in 50% dales 50% water for 24hrs. grind on fresh black pepper corns then throw it in the oven on 180 for about 6 hours. cant tell it from beef. i want to jerky an entire deer this year, we will see. so far nothing yet..

This is what i use

c240cc3b-2c54-447d-850f-5443e4334d62_1.34eb76153c10f8ee7c09ebf71fa43383.jpeg
71vxnloOIbL._SL1500_.jpg

You can use a jerky shooter with foil on the grates. No temp to deal with, plug in and walk away 1 pan of chips smoke slow all night.

Oh and follow the directions on the seasoning EXACTLY. My father in law had his first chief smoker for 33 years before it choked and had to buy another. We do bacon, cheese, salmon. Really is a great investment

I was very surprised the first time I used the "caulk gun/ ground" method. It was pretty tasty... I prefer the sliced marinated in dales/water/spices... I went from the oven to dehydrator.... I like smoking meats... I haven't tried jerky in it yet....

Take your deer to Dorminey's Deer Processing in Carnesville. You're fairly close. I used to live in Monroe and it was a 120 mile round trip. I would take 2 or more at a time to make it worthwhile. I just moved to the coast so that drive is out of the question now. They make the best deer jerky I've ever had. They also make some awesome slim jim sausage sticks. It's worth paying them.

That’s who does most my deer. Just like having different flavors. Got 3 kids plus other family members and they all have different tastes. They only offer one flavor.

Back
Top Bottom