deer hunters help please

Both. Tree stands work and so does hunting from the ground. I killed my best buck ever sitting on the ground with no blind. I have killed many deer this way.

Look for trails. Look for White Oaks that appear to have frequent visitors. Acorns from the White Oak are always going to be the favorite food source of Whitetails. Look for trails and cracked acorn shells around the White Oaks in your hunting area. They will also eat acorns from Red Oaks but they prefer the White Oaks. Later in the year they tend to feed on any browse they can find because that is all there is left. That is why so many guys plant food plots. Look for bedding areas and the trails leading to and from them. Setting up between bedding areas and feeding areas are the best way to hunt for the early part of the season and perhaps the later parts of the season. During the rut it can be anybody's guess but your best bet is to look for does and their bedding areas during the middle of November. Stay quiet, try to be quiet going in and out of the woods. If you snap a branch in the morning going into the woods and a deer is bedded 300 yards away on another ridge, guess what? They can hear you. Always use the wind to your advantage. If the wind is in your face, you are fine. I will not hunt an area if the wind isn't right. I would rather stay home. If I can give one piece of advice to any beginning hunter it is watch the wind. A deer's nose is their best defense and if they smell you, bye. Game over. It may sound crazy but wash your hunting clothes in scent free detergent, store them outside in a container. Keep your boots outside and do not put them on until you get out of vehicle to hunt. Don't wear them to Waffle House or while pumping gas. Use scent free soap and shampoo. This may sound extreme to new guys but believe me you can never be scent free enough.

Just some easy tips for beginners. You can hunt and kill deer if you are patient and careful. Be safe and good luck.

Great thread!

This is a lot of good advise, pay attention young grasshoppers!

MRH spilled the beans. I wish I had these simple rules when I started. Wind, scent, wind. Blinds, trees, ground - it all comes down to time in the woods and odds. Biggest deer I have taken I was only out for 1 hour and just sat at the base of a tree (after being out 6x that season without success). Some of the best places are in town behind neighbors houses and local businesses. Cobb is awesome for bows and very few hunt except with internal combustion engines; you have friends that live in older neighborhoods next to powerlines and easements, see if you can checkout those areas. I live close to a shopping center and the widows behind me let me hunt their backyards simply for keeping an eye on things and helping them with odd jobs during the year. Local places are great because you can come home, eat dinner, walk 750 feet, hunt, walk back home, put the kids down, and sleep in your own bed. The burbs are also easier to learn to hunt; I found the deer are more used to the noise and smells of humans in these areas and are not as subject to spooking. The burbs helped me learn skills for the weekends when I go to the farm. It is amazing the difference between burn deer and country deer-totally different in the way they move and habits. I had my 6yr old with me last weekend for the first time at the farm, we had 3 groups come through and all got spooked with his excitement, but the burb deer don't seem to notice him...

Good luck and keep us posted on how things go for you this season.

So since indians didn't have trucks does that mean you have to drag it all the way to your tent? Do you live in a tent? I'm asking different peoples way of doing things no need for the ignorance

chill man hes just giving you ****.
1 u can bring someone with you, tie him to sturdy tree you cut down(don't do in nf or wma) and shoulder carry him out. I like this way the best but need clear path and are gonna have to put some ass in it. 2 buy cart make cart 3 1/4 it.. bring sayran wrap and a cleaning set , and bust that cherry hard lmao

chill man hes just giving you ****.
1 u can bring someone with you, tie him to sturdy tree you cut down(don't do in nf or wma) and shoulder carry him out. I like this way the best but need clear path and are gonna have to put some ass in it. 2 buy cart make cart 3 1/4 it.. bring sayran wrap and a cleaning set , and bust that cherry hard lmao
Great ideas! Thanks for the info!

MRH spilled the beans. I wish I had these simple rules when I started. Wind, scent, wind. Blinds, trees, ground - it all comes down to time in the woods and odds. Biggest deer I have taken I was only out for 1 hour and just sat at the base of a tree (after being out 6x that season without success). Some of the best places are in town behind neighbors houses and local businesses. Cobb is awesome for bows and very few hunt except with internal combustion engines; you have friends that live in older neighborhoods next to powerlines and easements, see if you can checkout those areas. I live close to a shopping center and the widows behind me let me hunt their backyards simply for keeping an eye on things and helping them with odd jobs during the year. Local places are great because you can come home, eat dinner, walk 750 feet, hunt, walk back home, put the kids down, and sleep in your own bed. The burbs are also easier to learn to hunt; I found the deer are more used to the noise and smells of humans in these areas and are not as subject to spooking. The burbs helped me learn skills for the weekends when I go to the farm. It is amazing the difference between burn deer and country deer-totally different in the way they move and habits. I had my 6yr old with me last weekend for the first time at the farm, we had 3 groups come through and all got spooked with his excitement, but the burb deer don't seem to notice him...

Good luck and keep us posted on how things go for you this season.
mrh and this. scent is your worst enemy. like mrh said-get everything anti scent. the best way ive had it described is all of our scents.... (food stores homes purfumes, deodorant shampoo you get the pic) are as pungent as we smell skunks. you are never being too quite and the difference in hunting the hills compared to the city is huge. they have been exposed to much more in the city---- but you will see less. the ones in the hills---- can hear/smell you a mile away. pouring out a can of corn for the "squirrels" is a bad idea. learn to look at what they eat! nothing more important except scent. goodluck

My best advice is to put your rifle in the truck and wait till about midnight on a full or close to full moon night. Drive out in the country on lightly traveled roads at fairly fast speeds. It won't be long until you get your deer. The rifle is only used if you happen to land a glancing blow.

Back
Top Bottom