• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

deer hunters help please

Theres a bow only corps of engineers site in north Cobb somewhere

My son has had several cross country running competitions there

Sorry cant remember the road it's on
Not near a lake far as I could tell. So dunno why the USACE has it
Maybe on a river. But I didn't see one
To hunt the corp land in cobb on around lake Allatoona you are required to get a permit and they are all bow only. All of those permits are already gone for this year you would have to wait till next year. There are plenty of WMA's that allow bow hunting in bow season and they have plenty of deer on them. You just have to scout to find them. I have killed some nice deer on local WMA's. Just find the sign and spend extra time in the stand. A lot of hunters will leave around 10-11 in the morning and as they are leaving the will bump the deer and run them right to you. I will pack a lunch and stay all day or if time don't allow me I will stay till at least 12. Good luck this year!

This thread is awesome, I'm learning a lot. I'm a very inexperienced deer hunter, I didn't grow up going hunting because my family just isn't really into that, so I have to pick information up piecemeal and try it out. Definitely gonna buy that book that BullOne recommended, looks like a good reference. I need education on the basics. I've sat in ground blinds the past couple of years and haven't seen anything, so I want to learn how to find them primarily (buying a game camera would probably help...). I've also just been hunting on land owned by myself or my parents (each have about 5 acres). I've been leery of WMAs mainly because I don't know the proper "etiquette" or rules concerning other hunters. Do people typically stake out a location on these that they frequent? The last thing I want to do is encroach on another hunter who's been working a particular area as I look for a place to set up.

ground blind or tree blind?

Both. Tree stands work and so does hunting from the ground. I killed my best buck ever sitting on the ground with no blind. I have killed many deer this way.

Look for trails. Look for White Oaks that appear to have frequent visitors. Acorns from the White Oak are always going to be the favorite food source of Whitetails. Look for trails and cracked acorn shells around the White Oaks in your hunting area. They will also eat acorns from Red Oaks but they prefer the White Oaks. Later in the year they tend to feed on any browse they can find because that is all there is left. That is why so many guys plant food plots. Look for bedding areas and the trails leading to and from them. Setting up between bedding areas and feeding areas are the best way to hunt for the early part of the season and perhaps the later parts of the season. During the rut it can be anybody's guess but your best bet is to look for does and their bedding areas during the middle of November. Stay quiet, try to be quiet going in and out of the woods. If you snap a branch in the morning going into the woods and a deer is bedded 300 yards away on another ridge, guess what? They can hear you. Always use the wind to your advantage. If the wind is in your face, you are fine. I will not hunt an area if the wind isn't right. I would rather stay home. If I can give one piece of advice to any beginning hunter it is watch the wind. A deer's nose is their best defense and if they smell you, bye. Game over. It may sound crazy but wash your hunting clothes in scent free detergent, store them outside in a container. Keep your boots outside and do not put them on until you get out of vehicle to hunt. Don't wear them to Waffle House or while pumping gas. Use scent free soap and shampoo. This may sound extreme to new guys but believe me you can never be scent free enough.

Just some easy tips for beginners. You can hunt and kill deer if you are patient and careful. Be safe and good luck.

Great thread!

Don't hunt alone. Make sure someone knows where you will be and about when you will return. Take cellphone and keep it off.
Boil coffee to make it especially hot and put it in a thermos and leave it in the truck. You will appreciate it after 4 hours of
hunting.

Question. I am as well trying to get into deer hunting this year. I am finishing up my hunters education tomorrow then I will get my license. My question is after shooting the deer how do you gut if you have never done it before? i am learning in this course that you do it right there on the spot. Also do you have to have a 4 wheeler to drag it out of the woods??

Question. I am as well trying to get into deer hunting this year. I am finishing up my hunters education tomorrow then I will get my license. My question is after shooting the deer how do you gut if you have never done it before? i am learning in this course that you do it right there on the spot. Also do you have to have a 4 wheeler to drag it out of the woods??

Easy two words. You Tube! Much easier than explaining it.

Um did indians have 4 wheelers? Tie a rope to it and drag the ****ing thing.

Nope I drug them out Saturday using my back, no 4 wheeler needed! Biggest buck I =have taken was 20 yards hunting on the ground with and arrow. If you find the deer sign the deer will find you!

Both. Tree stands work and so does hunting from the ground. I killed my best buck ever sitting on the ground with no blind. I have killed many deer this way.

Look for trails. Look for White Oaks that appear to have frequent visitors. Acorns from the White Oak are always going to be the favorite food source of Whitetails. Look for trails and cracked acorn shells around the White Oaks in your hunting area. They will also eat acorns from Red Oaks but they prefer the White Oaks. Later in the year they tend to feed on any browse they can find because that is all there is left. That is why so many guys plant food plots. Look for bedding areas and the trails leading to and from them. Setting up between bedding areas and feeding areas are the best way to hunt for the early part of the season and perhaps the later parts of the season. During the rut it can be anybody's guess but your best bet is to look for does and their bedding areas during the middle of November. Stay quiet, try to be quiet going in and out of the woods. If you snap a branch in the morning going into the woods and a deer is bedded 300 yards away on another ridge, guess what? They can hear you. Always use the wind to your advantage. If the wind is in your face, you are fine. I will not hunt an area if the wind isn't right. I would rather stay home. If I can give one piece of advice to any beginning hunter it is watch the wind. A deer's nose is their best defense and if they smell you, bye. Game over. It may sound crazy but wash your hunting clothes in scent free detergent, store them outside in a container. Keep your boots outside and do not put them on until you get out of vehicle to hunt. Don't wear them to Waffle House or while pumping gas. Use scent free soap and shampoo. This may sound extreme to new guys but believe me you can never be scent free enough.

Just some easy tips for beginners. You can hunt and kill deer if you are patient and careful. Be safe and good luck.

Great thread!
This is a lot of good advise, pay attention young grass hoppers!

Back
Top Bottom