• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Deer Stories..

nocman_2

Default rank <1250 posts
NRA Patriot Life Member (Benefactor)
11   0
Reaction score
Let's hear your deer stories...

Mine may bite to some of you that have been hunting for years, but here goes..

I started hunting again last year becasue I wanted to sharpen my skills to teach my son (since I haven't been in the last 20 years). Yesterday I shot my first deer in over 20 years. I've seen them all season long, but have never had an open shot to take. I've had doe run by me, bucks chasning doe through the field so fast I couldn't count the points. I went hunting yesterday and couldn't get quiet in my stand as I kept having to cough and get out to pee (hey I'm getting older, it happens more now!). Around 10AM I figured my morning hunt was over, but I was determined to stay in the stand until 11:30. About 11AM I heard something to my right. Looked over and it was a large doe running by me pretty fast. Before it passed me, I had taken the safety off my gun and was following the deer. I've never done it, but I whisted at her before she passed me. She stopped dead in her tracks and looked over at me. I scoped her between two trees and pulled the trigger. I dropped her like a bag of hammers. Shooting the deer was great, but how fast all that happened was even better. I've got the bug again!

Let's hear some of yours!

Why get down to pee? Unless you walk back to the truck, the smell is still there.
I pee outta the stand and have for the last 15yrs. I've had deer walk through the "puddle" less than 5 mins later on one occasion when hunting at Oconee wma, shot the last one through. I actually hold it till I'm in my tree. Now taking a poop is a different story!

Whistling, woof, woof, bark, or just scream at them HEY!! sometimes that doesn't work however do something to get them to stop, or slow down, it also works on predators also, (however not every time, but it does work) we have taken many Deer, and predators this way.

Congrats on your Deer, and getting ready to pass your knowledge on....................

Back
Top Bottom