• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

"Defensive" pistol classes

jpm2953

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
403   0
Reaction score
I've got some buddies that want to take a self defensive type pistol class. They are all experienced gun guys but could use some help with their pistol skills. Just drawing the gun, shooting from cover, reloads, basic accuracy stuff. 3-4 guys.

Outdoor range only

Nothing super combat focused.....not competition focused

anything like that near by Gainesville?

I offer handgun training at a few locations, mostly Powder Springs GA (Cobb Co), Jefferson GA (Jackson Co), and Aragon GA (Bartow Co).

I have a class coming up on June 22 in Jefferson GA that covers the topics you listed, plus lowlight shooting and a few others. I will be adding additional courses to the training calendar for the fall/winter. Here’s the June 22 class ad with all the info you need: https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/t...owlight-tactics-june-22-jefferson-ga.1834620/

Based on rifle classes I've taken in the past year I can recommend both cmshoot cmshoot and the guys at Provectus Group (www.provectusgroup.org).

John Lovell (present YouTube guy and former Army Ranger) provides solid info in Youtube and runs a training business locally.

Also James Yeager (love him or hate him) at Tactical Response isn't a far drive at all. You can watch the lecture portion of his Fighting Pistol class online for free (www.libertv.com).

Lots of good choices at different price levels.

I know of two that are relatively close to you that I have some knowledge of. This does not mean that other trainers on here are bad; these are just the ones I know a little about:

Semperfiguntraining.com - They have a range near Alto, Georgia, so their range would be 20 - 30 minutes from Gainesville, depending upon where you are. I've never taken a class from them, but I know one of the instructors, and he's a pretty level headed guy. They seem to be mostly older guys, not into "chest thumping", but into real world training. They have a training progression plan on their web site, but I think you'll have to contact them to schedule something.

I can also recommend First Person Safety. I took a class from him and it was more about real world applications than just blasting a lot of rounds downrange. He had us perform some good exercises, and I recommend him, based of the handgun class I took. I took a class from him at Red Hill Range in Martin, Georgia, which would be 45min - 1 hour for you.

You mention: "Nothing super combat focused.....not competition focused". Where would you see a class crossing the line into being combat or competition focused?

You mention: "Nothing super combat focused.....not competition focused". Where would you see a class crossing the line into being combat or competition focused?

They all kinda suck accuracy wise. I assume that something like your class would be massively over there head and capability.
Also didn’t want it to be all tactical Timmy. Just a basic self defense class. They won’t listen to me. I’ve offered to help multiple times

They all kinda suck accuracy wise. I assume that something like your class would be massively over there head and capability.
Also didn’t want it to be all tactical Timmy. Just a basic self defense class. They won’t listen to me. I’ve offered to help multiple times
The fundamentals are the fundamentals, a competent competition shooter is going to dominate a gunfight/DGU, all other things equal. Any class recommended here should serve your friends well, but don't forget pistol is the most difficult firearm type to shoot well.

Back
Top Bottom