• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Dehumidifier

Exactly? Not sure but it's corrosive as hell, I'll never use it again.
Some dripped on my wife's expensive leather jacket and it melted the sleeve.

It's calcium chloride. So the water gets to be basically a brine water. Does not change the fact that what's in the bag is water.

I bought my safe about 20 years ago. I bought a Golden Rod at the same time; but haven't got around to installing it yet. Never had any moisture problems since I bought my safe. It has been inside the house with climate control for the whole time.

I bought a big high security safe from a bank that closed and turned it into a gun safe. It was too big and too heavy to put in the house so I put in my out building. I put two goldenrods in it. Opened it up one day and everything was covered in mildew.
I determined that all the rods were doing was heating up the air , my safe was still full of warm moist air , a perfect enviroment for mildew. Once I bought two eva-dri's to suck up the moisture it solved the problem.

If your safe is inside the house you're probably OK but if it's in a basement or garage you need something to pull the water out of the air.

I bought a big high security safe from a bank that closed and turned it into a gun safe. It was too big and too heavy to put in the house so I put in my out building. I put two goldenrods in it. Opened it up one day and everything was covered in mildew.
I determined that all the rods were doing was heating up the air , my safe was still full of warm moist air , a perfect enviroment for mildew. Once I bought two eva-dri's to suck up the moisture it solved the problem.

If your safe is inside the house you're probably OK but if it's in a basement or garage you need something to pull the water out of the air.
What do you think about that the fella above said about the damp rid system emitting corrosive vapors?

The eva-dri's are just silica gel with a way to recharge or dry them out to be reused. I'm not familiar with the active ingredient in damp rid. I can tell you from experience that I personally have had no issues at all using the eva-dri's.

OK so I just read the label on a tub of damp-rid and it says "caution contains calcium chloride" I'm not a chemist and I didn't look it up but it sure sounds acidic to me. I could see how that would release corrosive vapors.

Silica gel would be the way to go in a safe IMO.

Back
Top Bottom