• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Demolishing An Old Doublewide

boxer90

Default rank <3000 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
32   0
Reaction score
So I haven't been on here in forever, went back to work with my old company, got promoted, lots of long hours these days plus living out in the middle of nowhere with really poor internet. Anyway, bought a property earlier in the year at a great deal, has a mobile home in poor condition on it, Summer is finally over and I'm thinking my long weeks are about to come to an end, at least until the Holiday season. Previous owner died several years ago and it was just left to sit there, still has some contents in the house (but most items of value I've removed and have sold/are selling). Also has some trash and debris on the property, including an old camper that's locked up tight and IIRC two collapsed metal sheds and some other random crap.

Basically, just seeing if anyone here has had experience in tearing apart a doublewide or has hired anyone to do it? Property is in West Georgia, about 10 minutes off I-85 exit in West Point so if anyone knows of contractors in the LaGrange/Newnan/Columbus area that could do this, would be awesome to know. Looking for price ranges and the difficulties if I decide to do this myself. Not afraid to do so, but it's just finding enough time with my work schedule and I'm never off two straight days. But this thing needs to go along with the other debris so that I have clear land to place a camper on (for now) until I decide what to do with the property from there. Considered refurbing it but at some point a shoddy metal roof was installed along with fiber cement siding and the halves are starting to split, not to mention mold, holes in the floor inside, ceiling leaking/sinking, etc. Still has wiring, appliances, etc. Trailer is late 80's.

On a similar note, if anyone knows of anyone in the same area that does basic landscaping, eventually I'm going to need a new driveway graded and would like a few trees cut and a few planted in a different area. Right now, the driveway curves when you enter almost all the way to the property line near a neighbor's property and I'd want additional privacy, so wanting to cut a few trees so a straighter driveway can be made and trees planted where the old driveway curves to block the next door view.

Could you get a permit to just burn the thing? Or invite the local volunteer fire department to use it as a training exercise?

But if a squatter were to move in and hook up the cheapest generator in the world and there were a short circuit next to his gas can then it’s not illegal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best bet is to probably find someone with an excavator and let them have some fun and put it in roll off containers and be done with it.

Shoot me a PM and I might be able to put you in touch with someone.

But if a squatter were to move in and hook up the cheapest generator in the world and there were a short circuit next to his gas can then it’s not illegal.

giphy (60).gif

You may need a demolition permit from the county.
Or the City, if you're "in" West Point.
Legalities aside, you could probably have an experienced operator with a tracked front-loader with an excavator arm demolish it into one rubble pile in half a day.
With two manual labor helpers wielding sledehammers to further disassemble the rubble, you could have 3 piles by the end of a full day: Metal (to sell or recycle) wood (to burn, or just pile in woods to let rot naturally) , and just plain trash (must haul to landfill).

Thanks for the advice so far fellas, and I got a PM with some suggestions too. Not in too much of a rush as I don't get a vacation until November or December, but eventually the eyesore has to go. Mostly using the property as a shooting range right now anyway.

Could you get a permit to just burn the thing? Or invite the local volunteer fire department to use it as a training exercise?

My hillbilly self would considering having a bonfire but the trailer is very close to trees and power lines. Redneck me has also considered having someone just bulldoze the thing down the hill and covering it up with dirt, but I imagine that's illegal too.

You may need a demolition permit from the county.
Or the City, if you're "in" West Point.
Legalities aside, you could probably have an experienced operator with a tracked front-loader with an excavator arm demolish it into one rubble pile in half a day.
With two manual labor helpers wielding sledehammers to further disassemble the rubble, you could have 3 piles by the end of a full day: Metal (to sell or recycle) wood (to burn, or just pile in woods to let rot naturally) , and just plain trash (must haul to landfill).

The property is outside city limits. It's close to falling apart so it wouldn't take much to topple it over. The workmanship done on the "renovations" is some of the shoddiest I've ever seen on a home, period.

Back
Top Bottom