• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

depriming problem

69chevelle

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
3   0
Reaction score
need help. i am breaking depriming pins in the die. i am reloading 223. all the cases are brass. have some LC cases but have not tried to deprime them. i am using lube and the cases have been cleaned. can anyone help me out...richard

Sounds like crimped primers. Sure they are'nt Berdan? This video helps id crimped primers.
If I know I have a ton of crimped primers I use a Lee universal de-capping tool.
Not fun and not fast. But if you have your sizer die setup and really cranked down the the
decapping pin a universal deprimer may be your only choice.

[video=youtube_share;Uii9MaO28Zc]http://youtu.be/Uii9MaO28Zc[/video]

Last edited:
Sounds like crimped primers. Sure they are'nt Berdan? This video helps id crimped primers.
If I know I have a ton of crimped primers I use a Lee universal de-capping tool.
Not fun and not fast. But if you have your sizer die setup and really cranked down the the

I'm one of those guys that decap and clean prior to doing anything else .... one extra step that includes an extra eye-ball of what I must do next.
I use my Lee Universal Decapping Die on EVERYTHING and have never broken a pin on the thousands-upon-thousands of .223 / .308 mil-surplus brass passed through it.

The only one I have ever broken was after I first started hand loading on some on berdan primed brass. ( 2 flash holes) I managed to punch a hole through a bunch of 303brit brass without knowing what I was doing before it broke though. After using a flash hole uniforming tool I have loaded that brass several times with standard boxer primers now that it has 1 flash hole. I wouldn't do it again
After breaking the decapping pin I called Lee precision and spoke to Mary who sent me a new pin free even though I told them how I had broken it. Very good customer service from Lee precision.
Good luck.

Is your decapping pin screwed all the way in? Over even a short time they can loosen, start punching the brass off center and break. Also, are you cycling the press pretty fast?

It took me a little time to refine my process for .223 on my Dillon, but I found my issues were mainly from speed.

First, I heartily recommend the Lee Universal Decapping Die and depriming prior to cleaning.
Second, before I started using the Lee die, I would slightly loosen the depriming stud and deprime a case (the stud should wiggle a bit), while the decapper is in flash hole, I would re-tighten the depriming stud, hopefully to improve the alignment.
The Lee has a collet bushing for the depriming stud and will give way before the pin breaks. I think several other companies are adopting this for their sizing dies.

I have broke the depriming pins in the Lee universal decapping die with crimped primers too!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom