• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Design Choices

napp

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
45   0
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new folder for EDC; and hopefully I can choose one without filling up a dresser drawer with wrong choices. I'm not a collector; nor do I wish to become one.

I would be interested in hearing your comments concerning automatic knives, assisted knives, and knives with the Emerson Wave type of blade. I'm primarily concerned with type of function; but if you want to make a recommendation for a specific knife that would be welcome, too.

Would like to limit the budget to something under $100. Looking for a blade between 3" and 4". The primary use would be for EDC; but it should have the capability for self defense use, as well.

Not that I care to push 5.11 as a knife maker, but I think I just ordered their 5 new duty ones yesterday. Should be in shortly I hope. I'll post pictures if they do. Shouldn't break the bank either.

Spyderco Delica 4 and Endura 4 with Emerson Wave are both well under $100 on Amazon. Both have VG10 blades but I think you can get versions with other types of steel. I got to where I can open both easily with sweats with pockets (lol) but I still need to work on opening them when wearing jeans. The only thing that bothers me about the Emerson on these knives is that I have to pull the handle out of my pocket with fingertips (not hand wrapped around the scales) and that can be a little dangerous. I have gotten used to it but honestly, I don't really need the Emerson since it's so easy to open these Spydercos with a quick thumb swipe in about half a second. If your are intending to do heavy duty work with them, such as prying, these probably will not fit your needs.

But they are good quality knives for simple EDC with great steel, and both are very light. For the self defense aspect the Endura 4 is probably more suited for your needs (although I would not want to be cut with the Delica either).

Last edited:
My thoughts on the type of action... I carry either a Kershaw Leek or a Kershaw Thermite everyday. I bought a Microtech Ultratech just because I've always wanted an out-the-front automatic knife. And I won't be buying any more out the front autos. Very neat knife, but too thick for an everyday carry. And that glass breaker on the back digs into my hand when I reach into my pocket.

The Leek and Thermite are basically just as fast to open- and they're a hell of a lot cheaper. There are also a lot less parts to break. And they're a lot cheaper.

Did I mention they cost less?

Thanks for the comments, everyone. After a little more research on the net, I made my decision. I have ordered the Spyderco Endura 4 w/ Emerson Wave. One of the things that tipped the scales was when I read that the wave hook can be used as a bottle opener. That's a bonus since my Guinness Stout doesn't come with a twist off cap. :bounce:

LOL. You know, I remember someone mentioning the bottle opening feature, but I have not tried that yet. Nice choice!

Well, it came in the mail today. I like everything about it; but someone was stretching the truth a little bit when they said the wave hook could be used as a bottle opener. There might be some bottle caps that are different; but the hook doesn't quite get a good enough bite on a Guinness cap to do the job.

The good news is that the wave feature works exactly as advertised for opening the blade when withdrawing the knife from the pocket. The learning curve I was expecting wasn't required. The blade easily snapped open the first time I pulled the knife from my pocket.

If you really wanted a bottle opener that also served as a "wave" style opener, you should have looked at the DPx gear. I have been carrying one since Blade Show last year. Awesome, tough knife! Hard to sharpen, but holds an edge for a long time and priced right. I got mine for $175. I had narrowed my search down to Southern Grind, Emerson, and Dpx that were in my price range. Really happy with my choice, and look forward to what Dpx has to offer this year at the show.

D2 tool steel blade. Titanium frame lock and G10 handle.

http://www.dpxgear.com/shop/knives/dpx-hest/dpx-hest-f-2-0-olive-drab-right.html

Second for the Kershaw Leek. Assisted opening is the best.

Attachments

• EDCI 001 - Copy.jpg
    EDCI 001 - Copy.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom