• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Did a “Shoot a 50BMG” experience

Yes, it was powerful for sure. They had a suppressor on it, but it was still incredibly powerful. I was not expecting to get the shakes from it. One of the instructors told me they shot it without a suppressor one time and it blew all of the lights in the room.
I proof loads for my friend who loads for the 50 BMG. One day we were at our new just built range which is an old barn with a rolling window that opens up for us to shoot out of. The room is about 12 x 12 and I insulated it and put up 3/8" plywood on the ceiling and 1/2" plywood on the walls. So I am set up and ready to shoot my first round when the gun owner ask me a question. Being hard of hearing anyway I slide my ear protection off my left ear to hear and speak to the man. We finish the conversation and I take the first shot from inside the shooting room. Immediately I understand that I forgot to cover my left ear back up. The percussion wave blew my glasses off the shooting bench to the floor. I then felt and saw the glass settling to the floor that had been forced out of the batts of insulation and apparently came through the small cracks where the walls and ceiling met. My left ear hurt badly and about a week later I go to the clinic to see what the problem is and he Doctor removed a plug of ear wax that had been compressed so densely that the dr. wondered what it was until I told him how it got compressed to that degree.......The muzzle brake (Barret M-99) takes the recoil down to a decent level but the surroundings take a beating. I'm sure if I had not had my mouth open when I fired that round it would have a busted my ear drum. Ma Deuce will do what it wants to so be very prepared for the ride.

I proof loads for my friend who loads for the 50 BMG. One day we were at our new just built range which is an old barn with a rolling window that opens up for us to shoot out of. The room is about 12 x 12 and I insulated it and put up 3/8" plywood on the ceiling and 1/2" plywood on the walls. So I am set up and ready to shoot my first round when the gun owner ask me a question. Being hard of hearing anyway I slide my ear protection off my left ear to hear and speak to the man. We finish the conversation and I take the first shot from inside the shooting room. Immediately I understand that I forgot to cover my left ear back up. The percussion wave blew my glasses off the shooting bench to the floor. I then felt and saw the glass settling to the floor that had been forced out of the batts of insulation and apparently came through the small cracks where the walls and ceiling met. My left ear hurt badly and about a week later I go to the clinic to see what the problem is and he Doctor removed a plug of ear wax that had been compressed so densely that the dr. wondered what it was until I told him how it got compressed to that degree.......The muzzle brake (Barret M-99) takes the recoil down to a decent level but the surroundings take a beating. I'm sure if I had not had my mouth open when I fired that round it would have a busted my ear drum. Ma Deuce will do what it wants to so be very prepared for the ride.
That's insane! I'm glad you didn't completely kill your eardrum. The med student in me would have liked to have seen that ear wax removal. 😂

Look at that smile !! I bet that was a time ! LOLz
Absolutely!! I was electrified for sure. 😂 Best part was right after I shot the first round and I was laughing uncontrollably and it was just echoing down the tunnel. The instructor was adamant that I not hit the tunnel. He said, "Every woman hits my tunnel, do NOT hit my tunnel!" and of course, I didn't hit the tunnel (and in fact hit it pretty well dead-on target) so I was definitely smiling from ear to ear after that, too!

That's insane! I'm glad you didn't completely kill your eardrum. The med student in me would have liked to have seen that ear wax removal. 😂
the Doc had to put some drops of something in my ear and let it just sit there to try to loosen up the plug. My ear hurt for about two months.:wacko:

Back
Top Bottom