• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Did I mess up? Results: Heck NO Pics added

Vintagefisherman

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
110   0
Reaction score
I just started my 1st ar 15 semi build. I got a aero precision lower from Jake @ Quiet Riot Firearms and a ACT trigger & LPK from DogLeg Arms. Both are dealers on ODT and did me right. The ACT trigger is awesome, not a bit of slack. Nice clean break. The lower went together very nicely. I got to adding up prices on an upper and figured I could come out better to just buy a complete upper. I went with an Adams Arms EVO XLP A3 14.5" 1 in 7 twist Gas piston upper. Midway had them on clearance for $714 and available. When I went to pay they said on Backorder( Why do you clearance price something you don't have in stock?). Well today I was looking at it on midway and the price had jumped to $1021. Somebody screwed up somewhere. Well other than getting a deal on the price, Did I mess up on buying an Adams Arms Upper?

The Upper came in today and I am impressed. The finish and quality is excellent. A great feeling gun with a nice balance and weight to it as the gun with Trijicon mounted and loaded 30rd pmag weighs in a little over 9 lbs. The xlp extra low profile gas block w/ 5 gas settings fits under the samson rail which is 1 13/16" OD. I took the short picatinny rails off the front end of the rail to make a better grip location. .Gripping the small diameter rail feels good and I have better control. I did part of the break in today and she shot like a dream. So far only 50rds down the pipe without any problems. I have not done any grouping yet so I don't know what the 14.5" Barrel will do at 100yds. Cleanup was easy and the bcg was almost spotless after 50rds thanks to the short stroke piston system. The bcg is neat and has a great finish on it to. The bolt is integrated into the carrier. From what I understand AA makes most of their parts in house even the barrels. I watched a video on Buds and the vp of AA said they had a no question lifetime warranty. Even tho the card that came with it states a limited lifetime warranty. I hope I don't have to find out. Well here she is and I am proud of my 1st semi build. My next build will be a 308 and I think I will build the hole gun this time. Got any suggestions for me 20140911_031011.jpg20140911_030934.jpg20140911_031309.jpg20140911_031145.jpg

Last edited:
I have an Adams Arms piston upper in 5.45 that runs great after the addition of an H2 buffer.

I wouldn't say you messed up, but I do agree about the 14.5" from PSA. Best bang for the buck if you didn't want to build. I also don't want a piston gun. Too much extra cost and proprietary parts for little difference.

What would you consider the quality of the AA upper on a 1 to 10

I am certainly no authority on ARs. But the upper functions well. I like the coating they use on the barrel, bolt, and bolt carrier. The latch on the charging handle broke but was a cheap fix.

The piston design makes cleaning after shooting surplus ammo a snap and is the reason I didn't go with a DI upper.

I dunno? 8 or 9 out of 10? I've never even handled any of the boutique brands of ARs so I really have no point of reference.

I am certainly no authority on ARs. But the upper functions well. I like the coating they use on the barrel, bolt, and bolt carrier. The latch on the charging handle broke but was a cheap fix.

The piston design makes cleaning after shooting surplus ammo a snap and is the reason I didn't go with a DI upper.

I dunno? 8 or 9 out of 10? I've never even handled any of the boutique brands of ARs so I really have no point of reference.

I like the gas piston too ,That is why I chose the AA. To buy a piston upgrade kit is $2-300 and the rail on the upper is another $1-300 so I figure I will just continue with my plans . I appreciate your input.

Back
Top Bottom