• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Did Richard King know something our DNR does not know?

Majret

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
47   0
Reaction score
In 1860 Captain Richard King went to South Texas and started a scientific upbreeding experiement, using only the biggest and healthiest bulls to breed cattle. The result of which became the Gertruids breed of cattle, the first recognized new breed of beef cattle in America. Today the King Ranch spans 146,000 acres and is the largest and most progressive cattle and horse ranch in America.
It causes me to wonder if we implemented a program in Georgia for a 3 or 4 year period where we allowed One buck and 2 does per year. The buck would have to be 8 points or less leaving the biggest and healthiest buck to breed. I wonder what our deer herd would be like in 4 years? I also wonder why anyone needs a 10 doe bag limit when Coyote predition and over harvesting is now an apparant cause of a reduced deer population. The DNR's answer is fewer doe days. Does that mean that the greedy hunters will just kill 10 days on fewer days than before? It causes me to speculate that perhaps the wrong people are making these decisions that affect all of us serious and consequential hunters.
Just my two cents!

I have a difficult time counting points on a buck in the brush. If a limit on points is set, should a hunter be fined for shooting a 9 pointer? Also, who would know? Do you take your bucks to DNR for inspection after shooting one?

Having a wildlife management background, there are lots of reasons that the heard it's where it is.

One of the problems of doe days is that they are DOE days and not either sex days. People need to understand that does only are to be hunted on doe days. There honestly are not enough does taken annually.

Another problem is that each piece of land has what is called "carrying capacity". It's only going to hold X number of animals. If a piece of land will hold 12 deer and 2 of them are bucks that means 10 are does. A hunter does not take any does off that property because he is only hunting trophy bucks.

Next year is a wet year and floods the property and changes the carrying capacity to 10 deer. What has the better chance of sticking around more does or bucks? By numbers alone the probability of does surviving has to be greater for chance of survival on that piece of property.

The harvesting of does plays a vital part in herd management that people don't take into consideration.

Can genetically superior stock be cultivated to augment local stock?

IF you can remove the local stock, but then keep in mind over time that genetically "superior" stock will become the local stock. If the local area won't grow the monster bucks you aren't going to import them and keep them at that monster status.

Back
Top Bottom