• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Did Richard King know something our DNR does not know?

It causes me to wonder if we implemented a program in Georgia for a 3 or 4 year period where we allowed One buck and 2 does per year. The buck would have to be 8 points or less leaving the biggest and healthiest buck to breed. I wonder what our deer herd would be like in 4 years?

it would not make a difference. 3 or 4 years in a controlled environment is alot different than 3 or 4 years in the wild. id say that you would be alot better off thinking about the difference we could make if people had to pass an IQ test to have babies, and we could kill off people who couldnt pass it. 30 or 40 years of that is what would benefit us.

it would not make a difference. 3 or 4 years in a controlled environment is alot different than 3 or 4 years in the wild. id say that you would be alot better off thinking about the difference we could make if people had to pass an IQ test to have babies, and we could kill off people who couldnt pass it. 30 or 40 years of that is what would benefit us.

^This. A controlled environment makes all the difference. There is a reason why there are big bucks in high fenced areas. And good luck trying to control nature unless you are just going to wipe everything out.

Based on my hunting area, I would say the DNR is spot on. I am covered up in doe, and the bucks in the area feel very little pressure so they are mostly nocturnal. Even then I get very few buck on camera as opposed to doe. So guess what - I end up shooting mostly doe. I am also a meat hunter instead of a trophy hunter. I need about 3 deer to get me through a year so once I hit that number, I may go sit out waiting on a large rack to come walking by, but I am generally done for the year. Besides if every other deer that came walking by was a monster, it would take the fun out of it.

Kind of off the subject, but our local Mexicans have no hunting rules. Buck or Doe, daylight or midnight, doesn't matter to them. All year long. I ride through our wooded area on the dirtbike, and find fresh remains all year long. I have come up on them in the woods in June and July hunting, and when I say something to them, all I get is "no ablo" and a smile...

Kind of off the subject, but our local Mexicans have no hunting rules. Buck or Doe, daylight or midnight, doesn't matter to them. All year long. I ride through our wooded area on the dirtbike, and find fresh remains all year long. I have come up on them in the woods in June and July hunting, and when I say something to them, all I get is "no ablo" and a smile...

Call the DNR

Poachers are a big problem!! DD

This man is right. Allatoona wma is one of the worst poached areas around. I quit hunting a whole area cause of walking up on feeders out in the area. its sad i dont have private land or the money for a club. The wma's have been so trashed and poached they are about useless to hunt. I killed 2 deer last year one of which i had to shoot it after it got hit by a car in front of me. Fresh road kill.
Thats what its down too boys

I have been fortunate enough to have been able to hunt whitetail in alot of different states and it is amazing to see what the DNR has done with there deer heard.The DNR in GA don't have a clue.

In fishing terms, I think you're talking about a slot limit. You take out a segment of the population so that some can grow very large. It has worked on lakes, seems like there'd be a way to make happen with deer. Obviously, it'd be less controlled but DNR could certainly influence what gets culled.

I really new to start hunting. My property is covered with deer and I see them daily. I spooked a doe in the back yard last week and she bolted. Her little one just ran in circles the jumped into some briars and started making a screaming noise until she got free and ran off.

This is a 100% canned hunt. Hell, most of those bucks have tags in their ears. If you look at the "Hunts" page, one of the first things you see is "No season restrictions. No license required. Any weapon you choose."

If you want to go kill a carefully bred, tame stock animal, this is the shooting (I can't call it hunting) for you. Personally, I prefer to actually HUNT wild deer.

I think the DNR has done a very good job. I can remember when the limit was two deer total and it was damned hard to get those two. There was also a time that if you wanted to hunt turkey, the only place you could go was Clarks Hill.

Just because you don't see big bucks every time you go wandering in the woods, doesn't mean they're not there. It just means they're smarter than you are. There are folks that kill true trophy quality bucks EVERY YEAR on PUBLIC LAND, but they don't ride their ATVs to within a 100 yards of their stand. They don't go eat breakfast at Waffle House wearing their hunting cloths just before they enter the woods and they don't hunt in the big wide open spaces because they can see further. If you want to kill a big deer, become a better hunter and quit whining. :boink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom