• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Did some Nitre bluing

So it looks like the slide stop and thumb safety were done. Did you do the trigger and screws?

Where did you source the lye and nitrate at?

What did you use as a heat source?

I did the trigger, hammer, slide stop, grip screws and thumb safety. I used the nitre blu sold by brownells and a coleman stove/10,00 btu for a heat source with one of my wife's old stainless boilers.

I've been pondering that. I think I will. The gun was bought new for 340.00 and it is an awesome shooter but cheap enough to tinker with! I feel like as good a gun as it is it deserves a better finish!
I'll probably do the work one day next week.

Nice work! I really like the look of Nitre blued small parts. I have fire blued grip screws for a similar look, but its tricky to get it just right. Would the heat generated during the process affect the temper of the slide? Not sure how hot it gets. Anyway, looks great!

Good question about the slide. I'm going to call Brownells and ask about it beforehand. The heat is at 650 degrees F, But you are only in there for about 10 minutes. Part of me says it could and part of me says it won't. I've read yays and nays about it although I have seen many done!

Good question about the slide. I'm going to call Brownells and ask about it beforehand. The heat is at 650 degrees F, But you are only in there for about 10 minutes. Part of me says it could and part of me says it won't. I've read yays and nays about it although I have seen many done!

Ok, Straight from brownells: Do not do the large parts like the slide and frame. It's a shame though,it would look awesome. Anyone that's interested in having some of this done can feel free to PM me.

Back
Top Bottom