• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Did yall eat yalls black eyed peas an collardz ?

P1020514.JPG

Ate black-eyed peas, chicken, rice n gravy. Publix was outta cabbage, so we had salad instead.
Hope it brings me luck, money or both. Will settle for a job, preferably one that does not involve working with Marxists.

Collards and black eyed peas are ick. Why couldn't the tradition been steak and potatoes or something?
Not a bad idea, but tradition is what you make it.
Besides at my house it's been the same meal since '77.
That's because my Mama has done the cooking since I
was born and according to her, it will be that way till she
is no longer around. But be my guest to come around and
tell her different. Be sure to duck when she throws the cast
iron fry pan she got from her grandmother at you.

Got your black eyed peas soaking? They are a New Years Day tradition. I found this explanation interesting:

“Why do Southerners eat Black Eyed Peas on New Year’s Day?

The story of the Southern tradition of eating black-eyed peas as the first meal on New Year's Day is generally believed to date back to the winter of 1864 - 1865 when Union General William T. Sherman led his invading troops on their destructive march through Georgia, the fields of black-eyed peas were largely left untouched because they were deemed fit only for animals.

The Union foragers took everything, plundered the land, and left what they could not take, burning or in shambles. But two things did remain, the lowly peas and good Ol’ Southern salted pork.

As a result, the humble yet nourishing black-eyed peas saved surviving Southerners - mainly women, children, elderly and the disabled veterans of the Confederate army - from mass starvation and were thereafter regarded as a symbol of good luck.

The peas are said to represent good fortune. Certainly the starving Southern families and soldiers were fortunate to have those meager supplies.

According to the tradition and folklore, the peas are served with several other dishes that symbolically represent good fortune, health, wealth, and prosperity in the coming year.

Some folks still traditionally cook the black-eyed peas with a silver dime in the pot as a symbol of good fortune.

Greens represent wealth and paper money. Any greens will do, but in the South the most popular are collards, mustard greens, turnip greens, and cabbage.

Cornbread - a regular staple among Southerners in the absence of wheat - symbolizes gold and is very good for soaking up the juice from the greens on the plate. You should always have some cornbread on hand in your kitchen anyway. Good for dinner and in the morning with syrup.

Pork symbolizes bountiful prosperity, and then progressing into the year ahead. Ham and hog jowls are typical with the New Year meal, though sometimes bacon will be used, too. Pigs root forward, so it’s the symbolic moving forward for the New Year.
Tomatoes are often eaten with this meal as well. They represent health and wealth.

So reflect on those stories when you sit down at your family table and enjoy this humble, uniquely Southern meal every New Year’s Day. Be thankful for what this year did give you in spite of the bad, and hope and pray for better days that are coming ahead for you.

This was what your Southern Kinfolk did and reflected upon every year. We wanted to share these traditions with our friends not from the South.”

— via Jerry G Shaw

You only need to know one thing. Po folks know how to eat good. After all, that's all they have or had. I remember my Father in Law saying that at least he would eat well. That's one thing he wasn't going to do without. And he didn't. Growing up I thought my family could cook. Well my in laws pretty well have them beat

Back
Top Bottom