• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Diesel stored in jerry cans for 3 years . . . .

MCG DAWG

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
4   0
Reaction score
. . . Can't remember if I put Stabil in them or not? Should it still be good? Know regular gas is only good for 61-12 months without Stabil but have been told diesel holds up much better. Anyone able to educate me?

Non treated diesel is good for a year. Treated diesel can last 5+ years. Stabil is decent, but there are better products like Sea Foam. And of course all this considers storage at the optimum temps (below 70 I believe).

At 3 years and not knowing if treated, I would be mixing it with fresh diesel at a minimum so something like 2 gallons of stored diesel and filling up the rest of the tank with fresh diesel.

Can't educate you, but will tell you my practical solution. I wouldn't use it in small industrial engines, such as multi-fuel generators. I would not fill up the tank of a vehicle with it. However, I would blend it in with fresh gas/diesel in a vehicle and use it up gradually with out any concern.

Gasoline with ethanol separates and also attracts water from the atmosphere. Diesel is much more stable. If it looks clean and not sledged up, I would burn it in several tanks of fuel (10 gallons to 1 gallon maybe).

What about gasoline without ethanol? How long will that last, and does it need stabilized?

I stabilize with Sea Foam, stored in jerry cans, and I rotate out starting with 9 to 12 months. I do mix with fresh gas though because I store outside, and the temps go over 70.

This stored gas is non-ethanol and used in cars or 4 wheelers only. All power equipment gets fresh non-ethanol gas.

Back
Top Bottom