• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Digital Caliper recommendations

CBeck

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
98   0
Reaction score
My Midway brand hand me down dial calipers are crapping the bed on me. Going digital and don't have a problem spending money on quality. Thinking about the Starrett 798's though they may be over kill they're at least assembled in the USA. I don't wanna have to buy a set every year or two and replace batteries constantly so what has/hasn't worked for you?

I personally recommend Mitutoyo's. I have the electronic set at work, in 6", a dial in 12", and a 'vintage' 6" dial for home use. I prefer Starret for mics, and Browne and Sharpe for everthing else. If they will be in use anywhere near a coolant source, or any other liquid, def. go with Mitutoyo, as I've found theire 'Coolant proof' digitals are superb. Otherwise, you really can't go wrong with either of the three.

Brown and Sharpe, starrett, mitutoyo. Any of these will satisfy your needs. We use all at work and require our tools to remain constant and always zero out which they do. Always keep your case closed. Even if you take it out to do one quick measurement close the case. Anything gets in the case it can kill your zero. And do the zero test (run it all the way out then run it back in, if it hits zero then its good to go). About to buy me a digital Mitutoyo just because they have slide lock where as most starretts I've seen do not.

Just to satisfy an older guys curiosity, why go digital?

I have a couple of standard dial calipers that I've used for years without issue. I can't imagine replacing them with anything electronic. Thanks, CD

Back
Top Bottom