• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Dillon 550b

bulletpaluza

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
263   0
Reaction score
So I have been reloading for about 6-7 years and have only used a single stage press. I have a customer of mine that owed me money and he inherited the dillon 550 kit along with a bunch of other reloading stuff that is brand new as who he got it from died before he got a chance to use any of it. Everything is still I the boxes. So is this a good press to learn with? I have never used a progressive press before. And if anyone is close by to me and has the same press could I come over and you give me a ten minute crash corse on these kind of presses?

For someone who has years of reloading with a single stage press, you will be very pleased with this press.

Follow the set-up procedures and if any issues call Dillon or post it here. There is a set-screw on the press, don't tighten it too tight or it will lock it up. I'm sure you will figure out just how much to tighten it so it operated freely.

Once set-up, the press must be manually indexed. It sounds like a chore but is actually kind of nice. It allows you to make corrections easier. The tool heads install in mine with two pins, allowing you to set-up your dies and leave them be for quick caliber changes.

The primer arm gets gummed up after hundreds-thousand+ rounds but is simple to clean. I used axle grease to lube the frictional surfaces, I don't think the manual says anything about it but it runs much smoother even though it does attract dust/debris. It wipes off and then I just re-lube it.

Try it out on whichever caliber you shoot the most of and give a shout out how you like or dislike it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom