• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dillon set up

Jackspack

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Addicted to the Shindig
868   0
Reaction score
Guys, I bought a Dillon 650 from a guy earlier this year. He Said it was complete.

I’ve reloaded single stage before, but the equipment seems to be rocket science to me. (I’m a tactile learner).

I was wondering if anyone in West Paulding or Douglasville Rockmart could make a house call and help me get it set up.

I’d pay for the time. PM me.

I've learned to do cartridge prep on a separate tool head, even if you think you can do it all on one. The case feeder makes it simple and it is worth it to take the little bit of effort to dedicate to this step.

I've learned to do cartridge prep on a separate tool head, even if you think you can do it all on one. The case feeder makes it simple and it is worth it to take the little bit of effort to dedicate to this step.

that’s how I was planning to do it. I decap separately. And primer by hand. Maybe I should stay single stage. Idk.

that’s how I was planning to do it. I decap separately. And primer by hand. Maybe I should stay single stage. Idk.
nah. I thought the same thing till I got a square dead b at an insane price. I do decap on a single stage then tumble clean. Priming on the dillon is pretty ez. even if you prime by hand...the dillon gonna be super fast to crank pills out.

The pistol calibers are conducive to full progressive loading. One pass is all you need. The biggest problem is the occasional military crimp or the Berdan primer, which will break your decapper pin.

Rifle calibers work best with two passes: first clean, size, and decap; then do the rest on the second pass. Checking primer pockets, trimming, deburring in between the two passes. I normally take a day off between passes.

If you want to hand prime, you might consider just going slow with the intention of priming on the Dillon. If you feel one that is suspicious of a miss prime, just pull it off the press, set it aside before the powder goes in. You can then finish priming that particular case on your single stage, and reinsert it on the press at the powder station for completion after your case feeder is empty.

The pistol calibers are conducive to full progressive loading. One pass is all you need. The biggest problem is the occasional military crimp or the Berdan primer, which will break your decapper pin.

I keep about 20 decrimped, sized and deprimed cases on hand before I start loading on the Dillon. That way if military crimped brass makes it to the priming station, I just pull it and replace it. Minimizes reloading flow interruptions.

Back
Top Bottom