Dip Tutorial

Laxguy59

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
64   0
Reaction score
1st off I am not an expert on silencers or the "dip", so take my advice with a grain of salt and do your own research, this is not intended to show you how to do something, just how I do something.

The Silencer had about 300rds through it varying in velocity and barrel lengths. Here it is fresh after opening about 24hrs after shooting.
i48.tinypic.com_23l1kpd.jpg

Build up was not bad and I could have gone longer, but it did have alot of "grit" that makes taking it apart more difficult and I don't want to have to hammer out my clamshells and baffles.

here is the initial baffle that receives a majority of the lead and carbon buildup
i48.tinypic.com_2j604e8.jpg

the tube has minimal carbon on it. since the clamshells catch most of the debris
i48.tinypic.com_szycli.jpg

End cap has some lead and carbon, not much
i50.tinypic.com_8x1r3b.jpg

the necessary goods. Vinegar, Hydrogen peroxide, nitrile gloves, and old cleaned out jars to hold it all. Wear Gloves anytime you are touching the jars, or anything that was inside the jars.
i48.tinypic.com_33oijk1.jpg

Fill up the jar half and half with the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide, leaving enough room so that it wont spill over when you drop the clamshells and baffels into the jar. immediately after dropping it in, the water will turn gray from the carbon and will begin to dissolve the lead, making the water gray.
i50.tinypic.com_24uxhli.jpg

Once it's secured tightly, I give it a little shake, and shake it ever hour or so, not a hard shake, just enough to break away some of the material that is struggling to come off the baffles. I find it speeds up the process.
i47.tinypic.com_10zutdj.jpg

I then come back 5 hours later and a nice gray sediment sits on the bottom of the jar
i46.tinypic.com_33u52zl.jpg

IMage limit....grrr

- - - Updated - - -

I remove the baffles and clamshells, let them drip into the jar and then run water over the baffles. I keep nitril gloves on for the entire cleaning. After running water on them for a few minutes I set them down on a rag to clean. Before scrubbing this is what it looked like
i47.tinypic.com_nzlyrm.jpg

Some lead, but it is soft and comes off just wiping it.
i46.tinypic.com_2d8qn2o.jpg

After wiping the baffles, some lead remains, so I hit it with a wire brush, I also find a spent 5.7 shell is a good scraper that reaches into the pockets of the baffles to scrape some of the lead off.
i46.tinypic.com_14eauya.jpg

Then I hit it with a toothbrush and CLP to lube and clean up any remaining debris
i50.tinypic.com_28vu61l.jpg

Once done, a very thin layer of lead remains
i45.tinypic.com_30ma96v.jpg

Toothbrush and CLP cleans up the clamshells great
i49.tinypic.com_i36nfp.jpg

Lastly a little CLP and a 12g brush on the inside of the tube followed up by a rag to clean it out, and voila, a clean can.

i47.tinypic.com_inxus9.jpg

Cool. Thanks for the "how you do, how to".

Seems alot more tedious than I imagined. The effort seems like a breakout a 12pk, sit down and clean as you drink situation.

Cool. Thanks for the "how you do, how to".

Seems alot more tedious than I imagined. The effort seems like a breakout a 12pk, sit down and clean as you drink situation.

I set it in the dip, did homework, then pull it out and essentially clean it like I would a pistol, not really tedious, most of it, you set it and forget it.

Even the scrubbing is easy as the lead is softened.

Nice! Wished my TiRant wasn't all aluminum. I have to clean it by hand with cleaning oil. I can tell the build up is still there but oh well whatever I'll send it to aac when it gets too bad. I run until my rag comes out white and I'm satisfied.

Back
Top Bottom