• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Disaster Prepardness

willr1

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
33   0
Reaction score
Disaster Prepardness
Just got off the phone with a friend who is stateside now, but just spent a good bit of time overseas in various countries. We were speaking of how things have changed in the past 3yrs and we put on our "tin hats" and began to talk about one course I teach and that is disater prepardness. He collects guns, alot of guns, but he does not have a "turn out bag" in case SHTF. The guns he has are AK's, SKS', Mosins and other assorted guns and the usual AR and Glock (plus others). I then told him what I have and the reason why I dont keep "useless" guns around. Each gun has it's purpose and I can find parts easily for them, not to mention I would not leave an arsenal behind for others to use against me.After we got off the phone, I just thought Id share this tid bit of info at no charge

I keep two sets of "turn/bug out bags", really a plastic trunk that has these items in case we have to leave, one for the wife and one for me. Mine has more "minimalist survival tools" as I can hunt/gather, while hers has more "convience" supplies.

1. Guns and ammo. I keep one pistol of each caliber and rifle (.9mm/45acp/.223/308) with 100rds each and cleaning/repair/replacement parts. Those are the most commonly used guns/calibres and ammo and parts should be easy to find.

2. First Aid Kit with quick clot, tampons (bullet wounds), needle and threa, ointments and medicine. I have 'saved" some of our medication in the food saver bags to increase shelflife until opened such as penecillian pills etc.

3. MRE's for two weeks, which can be rationed out for a month. Water filtration bottles, straws and tablets and two gallons of water and metal utinsiles/bowls. Salt, pepper, tea, coffee and powdered milk, instant breakfast, jello packets (high in calories), beef buillion cubes (makes wild game taste better) and misc non perishable food items. fishing line and spare hooks.

4. Lights. Two halogen lights for distance and LED's for brightness and energy effecientcy. Head lamp, emergency strobe capability and red lenses. Self winding/solar weather radio with light.

5. Two knifes (one for filet and the other for general), machete, axe, folding tree/saw blade, entrenching tool (army shovel), cordage, compass, thermometer and a watch with hourhand (can be used inplace of compase), scissors and a multi tool with bits/sockets. Fire starter (magnesium, flint, waterproof matches). I also have my survival field manuals and quick reference books for the southeast.

6. Two "pup" tents, thermal sleeping bag, inflatable pillows, micro fiber sheets and and two micro fiber towels (they require less washing and resist bacteria) and toilet paper/napkins. Two small hammocks that are made from nylon and used against two trees.

7. Two pairs of jeans, cargo pants/shorts combo, breathable shirt and compactable all weather jacket, fleece hoodie and thermals. The clothes are in the vaccuum bag for space saving. Imicro ban under garments, toothpaste, baking soda, deoderant and lots of handy wipes.

8. Shoes, a pair of Teva closed toe sandle/shoes, tennis shoots and comfortable hiking boots. Micro fiber socks, wool socks and panty hose (use to warn off chiggers,fleas/ticks). Make sure the shoes have been broken in before storing.

9. Good backpack, climbing rope and misc camping gear. I have two "three day" packs and two "one day" packs for short trips. Each is either water resistant/proof or has a rain shield on it. Signaling devices (strobe, mirror), good nylon belt (I use a "rescuer's belt") and anything else you can fit in the sack or trunk without making it too heavy.

10. Books, games and other items to keep your mind going, once boredem and isolation "sickness" sets in, you will do stupid stuff and make mistakes that can cost you or your loved ones dearly.

If you dont know how to hunt, gather or clean wild game, get with someone who does and take courses. With today's economic uncertaintly, political unrest and possible catastrophe, it is not far out to think that you might have to one day leave your home and flee for safety in the hills or plains if your neighborhood can no longer sustain life or the area has been handed over to the UN

Last edited:
Sounds like you're good to go for a few weeks. Will you be prepared for life after an intial SHTF event or series of events are over? What about if we see long term interruptions to fuel supplies, communications, car parts, transportation of goods, jobs, food supplies, specialty medicines? There is some potential that you'll need to be ready for a barter economy.

I think we're ready for the long term stuff - but we haven't prepared for a bug out scenario like you have. We're working on it. Good suggestions in your post above.

i prefer the bug in scenario because it gives me more alternatives...but i'm also working on a bug out scenario where i can move most of the really important survival gear to another location...

I'm set up the same as you Will. I have a bag with the most important gear. My wife has a bag that we could dump half of it if need be. Also have another get home bag in the trunk of my car. Bugging in at my place wouldn't be the best. It could be done, but if the water was cut off, it could be a real pain. I have a seperate bug out location to go to if we had to leave.

The first thing in a SHTF scenario that I would do, after accessing the situation, is stay at my house and area where I know the terrain and landscape. However, once supplies are used up, then this "bug out" is what you will have left. If long term fuel supplies are gone, electricity will be gone, refridgeration etc. So stockpile as much as you can to make it as long as possible, but in case the UN or Obamanites are doing neighborhood sweeps, land is infertile etc, you need to have a back up plan.

i prefer the bug in scenario because it gives me more alternatives...but i'm also working on a bug out scenario where i can move most of the really important survival gear to another location...

That is a good idea, but you must be able to get to that area. I have a location in Helen, primitive, but it would work. I also have access to central Ga location for milder winters and for more crops, wildlife etc to live, but it is not as nice as up in the country. i would stay at home as long as possible until I was forced to relocate to find resources.

Just curious, how do you know when it's time to leave the homestead? I am just getting my plans started, but I wonder if you stay home until you are "forced" to leave, is that not too late already? I would think you would want to bug out just before that point, but how would you know? Like i said, i am just getting started and have a lot to learn.

I would not want to live post SHTF (years)....one bullet is all I need. If it seems to be short term. Im at home where I am familar. Where are you going to run too? I live near the lake, I have almost 5 acres that will sustain my needs with 2 houses. Why leave shelter?

Just curious, how do you know when it's time to leave the homestead? I am just getting my plans started, but I wonder if you stay home until you are "forced" to leave, is that not too late already? I would think you would want to bug out just before that point, but how would you know? Like i said, i am just getting started and have a lot to learn.

when my home is no longer an option. That means if zombies, UN/NATO, civil unreset in the area, soil contamination etc makes staying at my house no longer a viable option for myself and family, then I would bug out. I plan on staying at my house as long as possible, as there is a nice creek about 1/2 mile down in the woods and plenty of vertile soil to use. But, if something occured that caused a bad harvest, we would have little during winter and much of the game would be killed in the area due to the population. If a "roundup" of people occur, then staying at the house is not going to work, so those are the situations I would choose to leave and seek life elsewhere

when my home is no longer an option. That means if zombies, UN/NATO, civil unreset in the area, soil contamination etc makes staying at my house no longer a viable option for myself and family, then I would bug out. I plan on staying at my house as long as possible, as there is a nice creek about 1/2 mile down in the woods and plenty of vertile soil to use. But, if something occured that caused a bad harvest, we would have little during winter and much of the game would be killed in the area due to the population. If a "roundup" of people occur, then staying at the house is not going to work, so those are the situations I would choose to leave and seek life elsewhere

I totally get what you are saying about staying as long as possible. I live out in the woods, on a dirt road with only a couple houses on it. I know the land around me and feel I could make it here with my family without any outside help. It's the Zombie, UN/NATO, and especially civil unrest scenarios that worriy me. I just don't know if I will be able to know that exact moment to get the heck out of dodge is. I understand if your resources run out, that it's probably time to move on. I am just wondering though if it's best to wait for them to come or if it's best to not be there. Not saying I know the answer by any means, just trying to see what other's are thinking.

Back
Top Bottom