• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Disaster Prepardness

I'm for hunkering down in the homestead, simply because I know the terrain and the neighbors. To take my family out into the unknown where the have-nots would take what you have and at best, leave you dead, is a bad scenario in my mind. Now, if I can leave before it gets bad, that's a different story. But I believe once the panic starts, it's already too late to travel.

In the case of some natural disaster, I'm a volunteer first responder and that would keep me in the area. In the case of nuclear fallout, well then we are probably screwed by the time we hear the warnings.

I think everyone needs to have a plan and be prepared for whatever they need to survive. I'm always surprised just how little people think they need if something bad happens.

I totally get what you are saying about staying as long as possible. I live out in the woods, on a dirt road with only a couple houses on it. I know the land around me and feel I could make it here with my family without any outside help. It's the Zombie, UN/NATO, and especially civil unrest scenarios that worriy me. I just don't know if I will be able to know that exact moment to get the heck out of dodge is. I understand if your resources run out, that it's probably time to move on. I am just wondering though if it's best to wait for them to come or if it's best to not be there. Not saying I know the answer by any means, just trying to see what other's are thinking.

Its a tough call, because if you bug out after a month or so, everyone else that bugged out might be in your "honey hole" lol. I guess it would depend on what the current event is and how close. Im sure if it was civil unrest, I could hole up in my neck of the woods, as once the bodies start to pile up outside the house, the perps should get the message.

But, if it is a nationwide sweep, then I would hope to pull an "Ann Frank" up in the attic and make the house appear to be vacated until the forces leave and then come back down if that's possible. Either way, you must have shelter, water and fire to survive anything as food can be made or found.

I would look at how the nation is responding, if we have power, commerce etc and the civil unrest is not effecting my area, then I would stay, wait and stockpile until it affected me directly. Then, move out to seek other resources. There's safety in numbers, but I would not stay in groups larger than 10-15max as that would be small enough to "share" or take turns with chores without draining resources,but not bring attention to your group

Back
Top Bottom