• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do any commercial suppressors utilize steel wool?

IMG_20200405_095801.jpg
I would personally assume it would burn. Doesn't take all that much to set that stuff alight. Don't know though.....in for the answer.
I see a "burn hole" where the .22 round went through it. I'm making numerous assumptions here.....

I believe suppressors made back in the day did pack something like that inside, it wasn’t Steelwool but similar.
I’ve wondered if holes drilled into the barrel like the VSS vintorez helps with noise reduction?

The original Mac10 suppressors had boot eyelets in them. The thicker part near the muzzle.

3525_251_51-the-sionics-suppressor-design.png

I may or may not have known this dumbass many years ago that made an integral can with the barrel of an AR7. Drilled 3/16" holes all the way through the barrel about 4" past the chamber. Used a section of an old floor lamp that happened to have a threaded end cap and hole in the end. Centered up the muzzle end with electric tape. Sealed the other end with a PCV valve grommet . Wrapped aluminum screen wire around the rows of holes and zip tied it. Flattened out some steel wool and wrapped that around the same section.
The dumbass that did this project said it worked very well but had to remove one of the 2 recoil springs to get it to cycle right.
But again...that was just some random dumbass with a raggedy old AR7.

Back
Top Bottom