• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do some Wal mart stores have metal detectors?

Comanche

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
124   0
Reaction score
I dont know if it was just coincidence or not but when I walked in and out of Wally World the other day While carrying concealed I noticed this weird, pleasant sounding alarm going off as I went through the doorway.

It was kinda like a jingle... not the same as the beeping alarm that goes off sometimes if a package has not been disabled by the cashier.

I was thinking right off that it was some kind of alarm because several people were going through but it only went off when I went through which had me wondering right off.
Then to solidify my concerns I noticed three male Wally world employees immediately kinda make their way over to my vicinity and were kinda looking at me funny but the one guy who really made it obvious kinda seemed relieved that I looked like a cop and backed off....lol......everyone asks me if I'm a cop.....I guess I have that look.

Anyways....on the way out of the store.....same scenario.......I was behind a few other people and as soon as I went through the threshold that weird jingle played again.....I should have danced a jig.

My Wife said it was probably a stud alert but that kinda sucks if that were the case if three male employes checked me out instead of females.......arg....such times we live in..eeeewwww.
I asked my daughter who worked at Wally World up until last mo and she said she was not aware of any alarms like that at all so it must be new.

Maybe someone can shine some light on this or share similar experiences.

Last edited:
it would be hard for Walmart to use a metal detector effectively to deter firearms, if thats whats going on. What about carts, or big belt buckle, or a big pocket full of change, or any number of metal objects that get carried in and out.

Once it alarmed, then what would they do? Wand you? Follow you? Would you consent to get searched if you were carrying? I wouldnt, I would tell them to **** off. If that meant I had to leave, then fine, they dont get my money.

it would be hard for Walmart to use a metal detector effectively to deter firearms, if thats whats going on. What about carts, or big belt buckle, or a big pocket full of change, or any number of metal objects that get carried in and out.

Once it alarmed, then what would they do? Wand you? Follow you? Would you consent to get searched if you were carrying? I wouldnt, I would tell them to **** off. If that meant I had to leave, then fine, they dont get my money.

My thoughts exactly.

I talked to my daughter again.
Her BF works there and said it never happened to him and he carries in and out.

Maybe something only management knows?....I dunno but I'd like to find out what the heck it was even if my suspicions are unfounded.

My future mother in law has worked for them for 20 years and is currently a store manager. She said not to her knowledge. Wouldn't make sense with all the metals going in and out.

EAS towers are really finicky. Also, gonna sound dumb but was a claw game near it? Sometimes you catch it just right as it makes a noise to attract people to it as you walk in and out

Next time I go through I'm gonna record with my cell phone and if it makes that noise I'll have it recorded to see if anyone can identify it.

No....it's not the jungle from the X files...LOL.

Most Wal-Mart's use an anti theft device called sensormatic. Small magnetic tags are attached to merchandise and are demagnetized when you go through the checkout process. Sometimes cell phones or car electronic keys will set them off.

Next time I go through I'm gonna record with my cell phone and if it makes that noise I'll have it recorded to see if anyone can identify it.

No....it's not the jungle from the X files...LOL.

I want to see this so be sure to keep us posted, I've carried in the Dahlonega Wal-Mart and that never happen and I have never had it happen in McDonough either.

Back
Top Bottom