• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you keep the original boxes for you firearms?

Do you keep original firearm boxes?

• Yes, I do it adds to the value when I sell it.

Votes: 58 90.6%
  • No, I just toss it out it has no future value.

Votes: 6 9.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ah, you again. Unsatisfied with spamming my ad, you've decided to pout in a thread of your own making.

Yeah, I have a rifle for sale. I posted the ad for it. The price is clearly listed and nowhere does it say the original cardboard box is included. He then sends me a PM asking "What is your current asking price?" Either he mean to ask something to the effect of 'What's the best price you're willing to sell it at?' or he genuinely didn't read the ad I posted; I just quoted him the price I had listed in the ad as a response. If someone wants to make an offer they should just make an offer; I don't play the "Well what's the best price you can do so then I can try and get you even lower than that?" kind of games. He then comes back with "Your asking top dollar.", yes "your", and then suggested that the lack of the cardboard box it came in means it's not worth what I'm asking for it. That's his opinion; that's fine. Free country, free market, he doesn't have to buy the gun if he doesn't want to. However, with the way he worded his messages he came off as thought he were saying 'Because you don't have a piece of cardboard then you'd better be willing to accept way less than your asking price'. To be clear, he did not make any offers below my asking price, or at all, but that's the impression I was getting from him. In response I correct his grammar, I can be a smart***, and expressed that I don't agree with his opinion that a piece of cardboard or the lack thereof makes a significant difference in a gun's price.

So that should be the end of it, right? Nope. He then goes to my ad and types of a warning message essentially saying 'Watch out! This ad which says nothing about including the cardboard box doesn't include the cardboard box!" I don't put up with ****; I deleted the comment and private messaged him letting him know that I have the ability to remove such comments. I did so in a smart*** way because I can be a smart*** and his attitude thus far seemed worthy of it. His response? Post multiple more 'warning messages' on my ad. Wonderful. I delete those too and tell him to stop via PM. Then he makes this thread to pout somewhere that I can't delete what he says.

Again, if you think the dinky cardboard box makes that much of a difference then you're entitled to that opinion. You can try to use it as a negotiating tactic, not that it would work with me. If it's the difference between whether or not the sale happens then so be it. However, spamming my ad with pseudo-warning messages isn't acceptable.

don't give a crap about cardboard boxes on modern firearms. I toss them all the time. Hard cases, and classic firearms that all gets saved IF I have it to begin with.

I keep the boxes, but don't believe that it adds to the value of any firearms I have. Now, say a 1950's Smith and Wesson revolver with original box, that is a different story.
A
I had a bunch of old handgun boxes that I sold on ebay years ago. The old Colt boxes sold for more than the guns cost.

If I buy a gun I keep the box, they add value to the gun if nothing else.

And you can get your hiney bit on that. ANY box that is valuable can be reproduced. The trick is in spotting them. Example: here's a chip-board kraft box for 1911s (a reproduction) WAX paper included...........IMO, plain regular cardboard boxes are a waste of time unless you're

Attachments

• 1911 Chip board Box.jpg
    1911 Chip board Box.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 17
lexm41 lexm41
Yes I keep boxes.
But this isnt about a box now is it...this is a whiney price rant thread disguised as asking about a box. OP you said.." I told the OP that without the original box, paperwork and the test target that it was priced too high." Well, thats your opinion, and its his gun. Dont like the price walk away. I bet a hundred dollar bill that if the man did have the box you would still find something to fuss about becaus e YOU think his price is too high. Too bad so sad.

Now we learn your harassing the sailor!! Sheesh man grow up!!

I throw the boxes up in the roof of the garage when I get home with the gun.

The OP should change his screen name to Karen.

I equate the "I want the original cardboard box" people with that guy that uses the curator white gloves when showing pictures of his way OVER PRICED pistol......

If it's a 30yr+ old collectible, yeah I'll probably save it IF it came with it when I get it. If it doesn't come with it I don't care. If it's a nice plastic case, yeah I'll save it. If it's just cardboard, once a gun is used, carboard box gets tossed. I aint got space for that and will not hoard them. Most of my guns get used and are not for collectors.

I did for the first few years of gun buying then I realized with the size of the house I had and the size the collection was growing I was going to need a storage unit to keep empty boxes in. At that point they started going out with the trash. I very rarely sell guns so resale value doesn't matter to me. I'll be dead and gone by the time it becomes an issue. :pound:

Back
Top Bottom