• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you notice any difference in the taste of deer?

Do you notice any difference in the taste of venison?

• No, I'll eat 'em all.

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • Yes, but not enough to matter.

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Yes, I can't eat bucks or rutting bucks.

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • All venison tacos are top shelf.

Votes: 8 20.0%

• Total voters

GeauxLSU

Default rank 5000+ posts
Corn Pop
Staff member
Super Moderator
63   0
Reaction score
Where the stars at night are big and bright.
Some people comment they don't like to eat bucks, or maybe just not during the rut, because they taste to 'gamey' or even 'musky' etc...
So the question is, do you notice any difference in taste in deer and do you not shoot them because of that.

I've never noticed any difference and my personal opinion is the timeliness and method of processing has infinitely more to do with the taste than the sex or time of year. But interested in yours.

A lot of the strong taste also comes from how soon after the kill and how clean you clean the meat. Leaving just a little hair on the meat can give it a stronger flavor. I have never understood people just strapping one to the hood and driving home.

A lot of the strong taste also comes from how soon after the kill and how clean you clean the meat. Leaving just a little hair on the meat can give it a stronger flavor. I have never understood people just strapping one to the hood and driving home.
Agree 100%. EXACTLY what I meant about "timeliness and method of processing". I've had mature bucks and does processed the same way and would challenge someone to tell me which is which in a blind taste test. I actually tried it. Me and my wife couldn't tell a difference.

I have a friend (bless his heart) that I don't take venison from because he will gut it but he might not skin it and cut it up for a day or two. If it's cold enough outside he just hangs it from a tree and finishes when he gets around to it.

Some people comment they don't like to eat bucks, or maybe just not during the rut, because they taste to 'gamey' or even 'musky' etc...
So the question is, do you notice any difference in taste in deer and do you not shoot them because of that.

I've never noticed any difference and my personal opinion is the timeliness and method of processing has infinitely more to do with the taste than the sex or time of year. But interested in yours.

The gamy taste these folks complain about is really the taste of the guts staying in the deer too long, or the meat is starting to decompose.
Some folks like that taste, but it's not for me.

I like to be pulling the hide while the muscles are still twitching from the head shot trauma.

Beef will taste "gamey" if you gut shoot a cow and ride it around in your pickup truck for 6 hours.

Most importantly is how quickly the animal died. Deer meat can be almost ruined if the animal was stressed for a significant amount of time prior to death. The same thing shows up in domesticated animals, particularly hogs that have PSE. The result from stress hormones being dumped into the circulatory system is dark, firm, dry meat.

I have a friend (bless his heart) that I don't take venison from because he will gut it but he might not skin it and cut it up for a day or two. If it's cold enough outside he just hangs it from a tree and finishes when he gets around to it.

Venison should be hung for a week to two. The enzymes will start breaking down the muscle making it more tender and better tasting. Ive seen people hang them for a couple months up north.

That's actually the way commercial processors do it (generally let it hang longer). But yeah... I'm not taking venison from Bubba who had it hanging in his tree for the last couple of days.

We always used to let ours hang for about 5 days before processing (they were skinned, gutted and in cheesecloth.)

The gamey taste that people don't like is the taste of deer. It's not pork or beef folks, and it's not going to taste like it.

Back
Top Bottom