• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Does anyone have solar on their home??

I wrote off 16k of it on taxes. My monthly bill was about 80 bucks. 1800sqft home with a wife two Dobies that don’t know what the **** close the ****ing door means. Got taxed on nothing to power company it’s a COop
Does the power company have to pay you if you produce more than you use?

Ok I’m back. Basically my wife came up with the idea. I wasn’t very receptive to it at first. The initial price tag gave me sticker shock badly. Price will vary depending on how many panels are required on your home and, if you use the Generac system we chose, how many batteries you have. So there’s no telling until what you need or want is determined.

They have engineers who receive all the information on your home, location, proximity, trees on your land and all that stuff. The sales rep takes tons of pictures and feeds engineers all the info. Then a plan is developed based off of that.

I’m not sure about the incentives going into 2022, but if you had an install in 2021 the Fed kicks back 15k at you and GA is roughly 2k. So I should get roughly 17k back in incentives which is huge. Also the company I chose paid for the first year of the lease. It’s basically a lease on all equipment that you pay on monthly.

The hope for me is that I can offset some monthly cost by generating enough power to run the dedicated circuits I chose and anything in excess of that will go back into my local power grid and I’ll earn credits from my EMC. So not only will my power bill be lower from self supplying certain breakers with solar energy, also any KWH I can supply back to the grid will cut down the bill.

There are several different modes you can set the system to. For instance, when this winter storm was approaching and the threat of an outage was possible, I switched to using solar and grid power to prioritize charging the batteries to 100%. Then once they were full I switched to only keep them charged with solar and not use grid for that. So when and if power goes out I’m sitting on full batteries to run my fridge, freezer, hot water and a few outlets.

When there’s really no threat of outages I keep the self supply setting on. Then I’m just running dedicated breakers off of solar and batteries all day. Once the batteries drop to 30% charge they go idle until they can charge up. The grid power kicks in while the system is idle. If you choose to there’s also a setting that focuses strictly on putting power back in the grid for credits.

I’m still learning and figuring things out. Hopefully my info isn’t incorrect or confusing. At first, before I knew anything about it, I thought it was being completely shut off of the power grid and running the whole home. I suppose if you had the money and enough panels, backup…you could do that. But that’s not my situation. I’m on a 2 way meter so power can come in and out. Haven’t gotten the first power bill yet so over time I can see what changes. There’s a cool app from generac that I monitor things with and also the EMC app shows me when I’m generating the most power and all that info.

I didn’t intend to write a book. Lol. I’m no expert, but maybe this answers a few questions. Lemme know if you have others.

What’s the return on investment chart look like?
cost vs. savings?
I don’t have that info. For me there is zero up front cost. And as I mentioned in the book lol, the solar installer cut me a check to cover the first year of payments. It will be roughly $200 a month until the loan is paid off. After that it will be nothing at all except any upkeep and occasional battery replacement. The batteries are currently around 2k a piece. I have 3 and the cabinet can hold 6. You can run up to 12 on 1 inverter so if you have the cash you can go big and run much more of your home with it.

I’ll be able to tell over time how much lower my power bill will be. I’m hoping it’s significant. Bottom line is I added $200 a month payment so I’m hoping the power bill is much lower. It’s great to have the backup and assurance that when power fails, I’ll have cold and frozen food and hot water. Also the other outlets that we tied to the system.

Just curious to see if anyone has a solar setup on their house. We decided to go for it this year. All my panels are mounted on the back of the house so it’s not a total eye sore, can’t see from the front at all. Got the Generac Pwrcell battery backup generator system as well.

It’s been pretty cool to see the whole process and learn the system. During an outage the battery backup powers the dedicated breakers that you choose to run. In my case it’s Fridge, deep freezer, hot water heater and select outlets downstairs.

I’ll be back. Gotta run. More to discuss. Seeing if anyone else is on it.
I have a 9kw off grid system with 2 enphase batteries, also my panels are not visible from the road, I had to have wide gutters made to acomidate this, because they hang a couple of inches off the roof

Back
Top Bottom