• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Does anyone here build bullet traps?

I've had good results with big cardboard boxes stuffed this way:

FRONT 2/3: wadded-up crumpled newspaper (packed as tight as you can stuff it in, by hand.)
or, front 1/2 of box filled with loose scrap cloth. Old clothes, bleach-stained towels and torn bed sheets, etc.

BACK half or 1/3 of box: Bundled, stacked paper. Or scrap wood. OSB board is cheap and easy to cut to fit box.

Vary the location of your targets on this backstop. It will last longer that way.

Change paper wadding every 1000 shots.
Shake-out and reposition cloth / rags after 5000 hits.
Stacked / bundled psper or wood will last just about forever. It shouldn't even take any hits, unless somebody tries a .22 on it.

I've used something like this before. Stuffed front half of cardboard box with rags and used old magazines/catalogs for the back half. Pellets never made it past the rags. Pellet removal is as simple as shaking out the rags. Hard to get much cheaper than that.

IVE GOT ONE THAT WAS MADE IN 40S THAT WILL STOP UP TO 38-55 LEAD BULLET ,HAS 18 IN FUNNEL, MOUTH CENTER ADJUSTS 24 TO 48 INCH ABOVE FLOOR . MADE OF HIGH CARBON STEEL . IF INTERESTED.
Sounds way more fancy than I probably need but post or PM a pic (I'm having trouble visualizing).
Thx.

We built several for our 4-H bb gun teams. 1x4 frame a bit larger than the target 3/8 plywood back carpet inside to stop the bbs staple cardboard on the front and use push pins to attach the targets. We have used these for our air rifle team too and so far they have worked well. You could use wider boards if you wanted them deeper. We use conduit clamps on the back of the box to hold them to a 5 foot long pipe so we can adjust the height for different positions. Pipe is threaded on one end and screws into a floor flange attached to a 2'x2' piece of plywood that serves as a base.
IMG_20171023_1755397_rewind.jpg

We built several for our 4-H bb gun teams. 1x4 frame a bit larger than the target 3/8 plywood back carpet inside to stop the bbs staple cardboard on the front and use push pins to attach the targets. We have used these for our air rifle team too and so far they have worked well. You could use wider boards if you wanted them deeper. We use conduit clamps on the back of the box to hold them to a 5 foot long pipe so we can adjust the height for different positions. Pipe is threaded on one end and screws into a floor flange attached to a 2'x2' piece of plywood that serves as a base.
View attachment 2036214
I like this. Any pics of the back?

View attachment 2036214

Almost identical to ours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom