Does anyone here know anything about guns?

As usual, I agree with JWC. he is correct about most anything he posts on. If he dosent know, he won't post about it. Of course this is my opinion, YMMV, I am not liable for anything I say, type or post....ever.

Rick, good original question, and in the same funny way this thread has gone, I present THE CATEGORIES OF MEMBERS.

ODT members fall into three basic categories, which can and do overlap from time to time. Of course, this is my opinion.

Category I: New owners of handguns, rifles, shotguns. In this category you have members brand new to guns, brand new to a certain type of rifle, shotgun, or handgun, and also includes some members who know a little bit about guns, but probably have never built an AR or disassembled a handgun. Granted, this is a small number, but a growing number of members and these members cross over to Category II pretty easily. Also, they will be helped by those members in Category II, and will be humiliated in open forum by those in Category III.

Category II: Includes members who have a good knowledge of certain types or models of weapons, they are not gun smiths, but have very good working knowledge of most types of weapons whether it be a AR or an AK or a 1911, or a revolver, and everything in between. These members try and help the Category I members to understand what they have, how to determine if it is what they want, how to work through some issues with the weapon, and may make suggestions, based on experience, of another weapon that might be better suited to the Category I members. Seldom if ever do they brow beat or try and humiliate the Category I members. These Category II members are made fun of and ridiculed by the Category III members often, but when these Category III members are called out, the Category III members seldom have enough knowledge about anything to back up anything they say. Category II is the largest Category, in terms of members, on ODT.

Category III: These members know everything about every gun that was ever made and aren’t afraid to share their wealth of knowledge with the less fortunate members on ODT. On just about any topic, from price, to what to buy, what not to buy, what is a good deal, what is not a good deal, your vocabulary, your punctuation knowledge, where to shop, where not to shop, and your ability to make decisions for yourself. If you do not agree with them, they will post in another thread about your pricing, your wording, your description of your gun, and anything else about you that they do not like, and will make jokes at your expense, and further humiliate you, but will not call out you by name. Fortunately, this is a very small number of members. No one has to call them out because, you will see the same ones, in just about every thread telling everyone they know better than you. If you don’t believe me, take a look on ODT right now. Browse the threads where someone asked a question about a specific rifle, handgun, or really, anything. Those same members are in there time after time, trying to make sure you are impressed with their knowledge.

So, in my opinion OP, yeah, there are some very knowledgeable members here on ODT. You just have to wade through the Category III members in order to find them.

EDIT: Which category do I most represent? Most of the time a II, but using this post as an example, occasionally a III! lol

This is so true

Second, there are collectors of everything out there, just not on the ODT it seems.

If you hang around and get a chance to meet more folks on site, one of the things that you'll find out is that there are more collectors on here than you'd ever realize. There are people with quite large collections, and they aren't vocal about it.

If you hang around and get a chance to meet more folks on site, one of the things that you'll find out is that there are more collectors on here than you'd ever realize. There are people with quite large collections, and they aren't vocal about it.

Spot on!

Back
Top Bottom