• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dollar General. Here before time started…here when we’re all gone

I happened to be in Ashburn (GA) a few weeks ago and there by the railroad tracks and E. Washington St. was a Dollar General Gas Station next to a regular beloved DG store. Horizontal expansion of services!
Yep, that place began as a WalMart, it closed and the DG moved right in...go figure

I was a starting Banker back in 88, worked for the Prez of the bank. While out to lunch one day, our consultant, George Vest, former CEO of the Roper companies ( they make all the white goods for everbody ) pointed to a new $ Genrul that was in town and said " buy all their stock you can".

I asked why, he pointed to the satellite dish on top of the building. They know what they are selling in real time and automatically re order everything.

After splits, 1000 shares would be 14,901 shares today. Since 1988 it has more than doubled the S&P 500 with an average gain of +24.63% per year. These returns cover a period from January 1, 1988 through August 1, 2022.

For around a 2200 investment, today would be almost $4.1mil. I would be retired.

Foolish young me was more interested in mil surps.......

If you live in a RURAL place they have a life saver, it literally saves you from driving another 20 miles. I know they are popping up everywhere like mushrooms, but in these areas most of the small country stores are closed or very limited hours. If you need something at 7:00 PM Dollar general is the best bet. Most of the time WALMART is a LOT further.

They are just putting one in on St.Simons, from people’s reactions you’d think it was a whorehouse with a 20’x30’ flashing neon sign.
Yep, one was built a couple of years ago about 200 yds from my house, neighbors came around wanting us to sign a petition against it. I told them to pound sand, I had no problem with it. Has saved me many trips to Walmart, Publix etc.

BCED6DBD-9DC8-4873-9820-DABD02355D4C.jpeg

There has been a number of times they have save me from having to drive another 15 miles.
I drove by them for years, mocking the "poors" that shopped there. Then I needed something really off the wall, and stopped at one down the street and ask if they had one, and son of gun, they did.

Back during the great TP and paper towel shortage, DG always had both when neither the local Kroger or WM had ANY.

Back
Top Bottom