• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dry firing and using snap caps

TommyT

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
484   0
Reaction score
I have several collectable guns, both revolver and semi-auto pistols, and would like to try out the trigger but with work now I can't get to a range to actually shoot them. I have heard a lot of guns could be damaged "dry firing" them when wanting to feel the trigger pull. I see ads for Snap Caps but have what is probably a few dumb questions but hoping all you folks can help me with your experience.

1. Can empty fired casings be used in place of buying snap caps to keep from harming a firing pin? I hate to buy all of these different calibers to try something once just to see what a trigger feels like on a gun.
2. I was told you can dry fire any revolver without hurting anything and it is generally only semi-auto pistols you have to be concerned with when dry firing? Is that true?

Some of mine are old and collectable and don't want to screw one up because of my lack of knowledge! Any help is appreciated.

It's mostly older rimfires that can be damaged by dry firing.

I know you can use a certain size drywall anchor for a 22 snapcap.

$10.00 to scratch your itch and not damage a treasure is cheap.

Most of the ones I am seeing are closer to $17-$20 shipped except maybe the 9mm. I need a lot of different calibers so hoping to find a way to save a little. I don't have much patience waiting to decide when I want something so will probably end up ordering about 6 or 7 packs of various calibers but was hoping someone here had that "magic answer" so I could save the money for other toys.

If you don't reload, buy a kinetic bullet puller for about 10 bucks. Pull the bullet, pry the old primer out and fill the void with rubber or wood. I bet you can find a dowel at hobby lobby that fits perfectly in the primer pocket.

I use snapcaps....22, 9mm, 45, 223, 30-06. Cheap insurance....
Have reloads with no powder for milsurp calibers, which are also handy for function testing

Back
Top Bottom