• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dual CS1242 Record Turntable Troubleshooing Assistance

mrauditor

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
78   0
Reaction score
As the title says, I recently purchased from a closeout store this turntable manufactured in 1978. I knew before I purchased it that it would not power on. I figured it could be as simple as a loose wire or a blown fuse. Vinylengine.com is not currently taking new members so I do not have access to a service manual. I did manage to view some youtube videos and manage to disassemble the guts as shown in the picture. I was amazed as to how absolutely spotless the guts are considering the age of the turntable. No spiderwebs, no dust bunnies, no nothing. However, I found that this model does not appear to have any fuses and I have not noticed any loose wires. I have a digital multi-tester and can piddle around to some degree, but not enough to know where to place the positive and negative ends against the motor or a capacitor or ? I have a retired Lockheed engineer neighbor who can do it in his sleep, but he is rcovering from some heart issues and I do not think his wife would appreciate me intervening in his recovery. I have two thoughts in mind. One is to find someone in small electronics repair in the Kennesaw/Acworth/Woodstock/Canton area that might want to take a few minutes of their time and test this for me or , Two, if anyone of you guys can troubleshoot/offer ideas to me on ODT. Thanks.

Dual CS1242.jpg

Sorry, it has been a hundred years since I did any studio maintenance and turntables have changed, but it was almost always the speed switch or the motor. Sometimes a broken belt, but not often.
Good luck!

That black wire coming off the motor screw appears to abruptly end right at the Dual sticker. I would think that is ground for the motor, and would need to be connected somewhere? Throwing darts into the dark at best…

Back
Top Bottom