• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Duck season

Lord willing, I’ll be out there! I’ve been chomping at the bit and using the deer stand as a pacifier. My best hunting buddy can’t wait either!View attachment 4976742
A mallard is sure enough a trophy bird in GA! All I’ve ever seen when I hunt are woodies, green wing real, and a couple of hooded mergansers. I don’t hunt any big water though but hoping to change that this season. Also that’s a beautiful dog! What breed?

My dad told me he wanted to expand our duck swamp a little bit. He sort of went overboard lol. It now has dykes and slide valves to control water level. Wasn't finished in time this year, but it will get planted and flooded next year.

Attachments

• IMG_7261.jpg
    IMG_7261.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_7260.jpg
    IMG_7260.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_7311.jpg
    IMG_7311.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_7060.jpg
    IMG_7060.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 29
My dad told me he wanted to expand our duck swamp a little bit. He sort of went overboard lol. It now has dykes and slide valves to control water level. Wasn't finished in time this year, but it will get planted and flooded meet year.
Wow that’s a dream set up!! If I ever get some land would love to set up some ponds like that

Wow that’s a dream set up!! If I ever get some land would love to set up some ponds like that
It's definitely a blessing. It's a wood duck paradise, and we've started getting mallards in over the last 2 years. We're trying to get more mallards in but not run the woodies off either.

It’s a lot of fun! This is only my second season seriously going after them. I’ve only killed 2 s mainly because I’m a terrible wing shooter but I’ve been working on that so hopefully I can bump up my numbers this season lol
Well this will be my first but they swim right by my deer stand at about 30 yards. Next it is to find good recipes

A mallard is sure enough a trophy bird in GA! All I’ve ever seen when I hunt are woodies, green wing real, and a couple of hooded mergansers. I don’t hunt any big water though but hoping to change that this season. Also that’s a beautiful dog! What breed?
That’s mostly what we get too. Occasional big ducks show up every now and then. Last year I got a rather uncommon Ga Pintail drake! He’s a Boykin Spaniel. I raise them. Good in the swamp and murder on a dove field!

Back
Top Bottom