• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Dun ruint a perfectly good smith!!

Removing material on a gun is always a good idea.

But it's yours and you can do with it as you wish.

You obviously don't know Flitz...it's non-abrasive. At least the standard Flitz is for sure. I use it on my blued Smiths. So if that is all he used, he didn't remove metal.

And to the OP...your gun, do as you please. The only thing I don't like about satin/beadblasted stainless is that the high points become shiny from holster wear...but otherwise, it is a fine finish for a working gun. Polished stainless, though, is always beautiful. I have 4 stainless Smiths - two high polished, two standard. All 4 have been treated to a liberal dose of Flitz...but the two standards will never catch up to the shiny of the high polished ones. Congrats on getting the 60 again...

You obviously don't know Flitz...it's non-abrasive. At least the standard Flitz is for sure. I use it on my blued Smiths. So if that is all he used, he didn't remove metal.

And to the OP...your gun, do as you please. The only thing I don't like about satin/beadblasted stainless is that the high points become shiny from holster wear...but otherwise, it is a fine finish for a working gun. Polished stainless, though, is always beautiful. I have 4 stainless Smiths - two high polished, two standard. All 4 have been treated to a liberal dose of Flitz...but the two standards will never catch up to the shiny of the high polished ones. Congrats on getting the 60 again...
Thanks! The wife got tired of hearing about it and told me to do it, Really wanted another one and when the salesman said it was his last one, I wasn't walking away without it :) Atleast wallyworld is full of 357 mag, even when 22 is gone!

No problem. Guys with plastic guns (not calling anyone out...just making a statement) usually don't know about Flitz. And that's OK...leaves more of it on the shelf for us metal gun guys! :laugh:

Here my high-polish M65...
i255.photobucket.com_albums_hh132_tflylejr_M65003.jpg

Not to highjack but to borrow a little knowledge. If I were to bead blast a blued 13 and go over it with polish how would it hold up or would it quickly rust? It's a working gun

Not to highjack but to borrow a little knowledge. If I were to bead blast a blued 13 and go over it with polish how would it hold up or would it quickly rust? It's a working gun

If it's a blued gun it's probably carbon steel which means it's probably not the best idea, rather that bead blasting I would go with a checmical stripper to remove the bluing so you don't have to polish out a bunch of scratches. But the polish should leave some rust protection, but not much.

I prefer brushed stainless to actual shining polished but I'm with you ... the bead blasted stainless isn't for me. You did a great job shining it up though

Not perfectly good, my bnib model 60 pro had one problem... I hate matte stainless finishes, they look cheap. I prefer polished, blued or nickel on revolvers. I understand some folks see revolvers more as tools, I see them as works of art. So today I spent 5-6 hours after getting this thing home making it perfect to me. Model 60 Smith, I've regretted letting the one I had go, and been having a hard time finding another. Got the last one adventure outdoors had, literally took their display model. With some flitz, elbow grease, and patience, I'm nearly finished. Everything's polished except for the internals, top of the Crane, cylinder and inside the cylinder locking area, top of the barrel, back of the cylinder Hood, and backstrap (please forgive my crude terminology, still new to revolvers) Figure I can pick up another m&p any day, but my 60 pro...That's been hard to find. Ill get another m&p after Valentine's day. So??? What does the odt think?
i50.tinypic.com_2vu0axv.jpg

i48.tinypic.com_ncegdl.jpg

Still got more perfecting to do, but I'm tired of polishing for now.

I prefer brushed stainless to actual shining polished but I'm with you ... the bead blasted stainless isn't for me. You did a great job shining it up though

Thanks! I still have much more time to spend doing it, but its close to factory polished smiths, Formula, she performs awesome. The triggers so light its really hard to miss, just gotta master my grip and see the sights better, but its a great shooter!

Back
Top Bottom