• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Eats in St. Simons Island, GA

SouthernSlammed

Default rank 5000+ posts
Gingerbeard Operator
92   0
Reaction score
Found a new little hole this weekend to eat at in St. Simons Island, GA. Sure Barbara Jean's has some good eats (cheesecake tarts are killer), everybody wants to go to Crab Daddy's or Crab Trap (right next to each other)! This weekend was kind of no different, the friends we were with said they wanted Crab Daddy's. I put my foot down and said no, seen an ad for a place that just opened in 2013 called The Half Shell.

For location, it is right behind Barbara Jean's, If you have ever been in the area. It is a small place, group of 9 and we were seated tight. But none the less, wait staff seemed great! I love to eat and their menu looked awesome!
So I got:
1/2 dozen raw oysters (not local, SC or NC)
1/2 dozen oyster Frederica
- baked with spinach, bacon, ****aki shrooms, panko crust
A cup of crab bisque soup
BBQ Shimp-n-Grits
- in house bbq sauce, sautéed onions/peppers, andouille sausage, shrimp-n-grits

My Ol'lady got:
Crab cake BLT

Ol'lady said it was the best crab cake she has had in GA (she ain't been out of the state much)! But, a Delaware girl that was with us said it was second best to her mommas and she knows crabcakes! Had to have me a couple bites! Little filler and alot of crab, the way they should be!!!
My food was absolutely awesome, as well!

So, if you are out that way, I would highly recommend giving this place some business! You can check them out online also, full menu!

Side note, if in the area, BBQ... I know, you only want to eat seafood when you're at the coast ,BUT, you gotta have some Southern Soul BBQ! This place is another little dive that is awesome and it has been on Dinner/Drive-Ins/Dives! I don't eat much BBQ, outside of my own, but this place does it right!

Last edited:
Captain Stans Smokehouse in Woodbine Georgia. Looks rough from the outside, but the ribs are killer. It's sort of a biker/yuppie/redneck/hippy place. Friendly folks, good food and cold beer.

The rougher looking the place, the better is the BBQ. If you want to venture out a bit, Speeds in St. Mary's is pretty good, it's been a long time, but Pelicans Perch in Crescent has killer boiled shrimp, they were likely wiggling about ten minutes before as they are right on the docks. The place is out in the middle of nowhere and is hard to find.

Back
Top Bottom