• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Electric chainsaws (who's a fan?)

i have 3 ryobi chain saws (2 each 40V and one 18V and 11 40V batteries 20 or so 18V) they are perfect for small trees limbs and carving) I would say I get my gas powered saws out once a month or so (rarely)
after market batteries are not good for high resistance like grinders and chain saws they heat up and dont last

Yeah I guess it would do for quick work. Like anything else, it pays to have the heavy duty tool for heavy duty work.
Something quick, lightweight then it probably would be better to have the battery pack so you don’t have to fiddle with the mess and all.
Thanks for the 411

I have a mess of Craftsman 20V batteries and watch the sales, so I might pick one up if the price is right. But I ended up with a 14" plug-in for $23 for use around the house from after Christmas clearance; so, it's not like I need one.

So as long as you stick with the Ryobi batts , it seems to do ok ?
Mine do. Just use mine for light work, got the 18v setup.
Home depot will run Ryobi 1+ on sale occasionally, only time I buy. You can get great deals.
Got 8 batteries, 3 chargers, 6 tools. Had most of mine 5+ years, no problems yet.
Can’t speak to the 40v line, though.
The little hand-held air pump has been the most useful. Wife took it to the lake with friends, it inflated their large floats in minutes.

I have had the 40v Ryobi chainsaw for 3 years now. Perfect for small jobs but mine is for travel. I do a lot of overlanding/camping in an old Land Rover. No gas smell in the vehicle, handles the trail jobs with ease. Carry two batts, one in the saw, other charging.
Did have a battery stop charging in Nov, found one on Facebook Marketplace for cheap, works great.

Not near as fast as my Poulan 20"gas, but perfect for what I use it for.

I have had the 40v Ryobi chainsaw for 3 years now. Perfect for small jobs but mine is for travel. I do a lot of overlanding/camping in an old Land Rover. No gas smell in the vehicle, handles the trail jobs with ease. Carry two batts, one in the saw, other charging.
Did have a battery stop charging in Nov, found one on Facebook Marketplace for cheap, works great.

Not near as fast as my Poulan 20"gas, but perfect for what I use it for.

Camping is most likely what I'd use one for most often. Toss a couple batteries and a charger in a bag and I'd be good for firewood if needed.

We have the HF Atlas 16" 40v. It's great. Very convenient. Not as powerful as a gas saw, but with a sharp chain, in a pinch, it can clean up a downed tree of modest proportions.

Case in point: We had threes tree come down during last week's storms. All pines about the same size: 10 to 12" diameter, perhaps 25 to 30' tall. The wife cleaned up the limbs with the Atlas, cut some of the upper sections of the tree, but I used a Husky 16" gas saw to cut up the trunks into firewood sized rounds.

We've got three Atlas batteries. She used them all to get through her portion of the work.

So: Convenient. Less messy. Not as powerful as gas.
I was looking at those too since they are cheaper then the big brands but the batteries are still $$$..gonna keep it in back of my mind tho

I just put a new blade on my STihl and topped off gas. Hadn't started it in 6 months but less then 20 pulls and it came back to life so i'm happy at the moment. I'm gonna keep an eye out for sales/used electric saws tho.

I bought a small Stihl for my parents since they no longer can handle a heavy gas saw and it works great for small jobs and limbs. I thought about getting one for my Bronco however the 36” crosscut I have in there now doesn't need gas/oil/batteries, always starts on the first pull and along with a axe and a couple of wedges it will take care of most large trees.

9F1BAD3F-8D60-4E2E-BC31-9C1E984B7CC1.jpeg

I've got DeWalt chainsaw since I have all the other tools as well. It is slower than a gas powered one; but doesn't require cranking and is always at the ready. Also it weighs a lot less than gas powered. It is more than adequate for most of the stuff I need it for. By the time the battery is gone; I'm ready to quit also.

Back
Top Bottom