• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Electric chainsaws (who's a fan?)

LordMDP

Default rank <1000 posts Lifetime Supporter
Frontiersman
20   0
Reaction score
I saw Ryobi came out with a 20inch version of their 40V model last year. Thinking about replacing my aging Stihl 025 gas chainsaw. Anyone have any regrets buying electric. I know the batteries are $$ but they have no name brand ones cheaper on ebay. I only use mine a few times a year althoguh in the winter I keep it in my truck in case I can help out neightbors ect
1e025b3dec104cb59b8efe55a660bae9.jpg

If you've already bought into a battery system and have a few already, they seem to be worth it. If that's the only Ryobi/Makita,etc... you have, it's going to disappoint.

And all of the after market batteries tested by third parties have been garbage, and in many cases fire hazards that will destroy your gear.

We have the HF Atlas 16" 40v. It's great. Very convenient. Not as powerful as a gas saw, but with a sharp chain, in a pinch, it can clean up a downed tree of modest proportions.

Case in point: We had threes tree come down during last week's storms. All pines about the same size: 10 to 12" diameter, perhaps 25 to 30' tall. The wife cleaned up the limbs with the Atlas, cut some of the upper sections of the tree, but I used a Husky 16" gas saw to cut up the trunks into firewood sized rounds.

We've got three Atlas batteries. She used them all to get through her portion of the work.

So: Convenient. Less messy. Not as powerful as gas.

If you've already bought into a battery system and have a few already, they seem to be worth it. If that's the only Ryobi/Makita,etc... you have, it's going to disappoint.

And all of the after market batteries tested by third parties have been garbage, and in many cases fire hazards that will destroy your gear.
So as long as you stick with the Ryobi batts , it seems to do ok ?

I have a 15+yr old Mac Cat -McCullough chain saw that works great - I have replaced chains of course and tune/filter stuff but other than that, I say it rocks on like it was new . I just can’t see getting that kind of use/mileage out of a battery operated saw.
It isn’t like I use it every day or anything, but when I need it …..it works great ! I say I use it 4-5 times a year at the most. For like an hour or two at a time. Sometimes I may use it for an afternoon off and on trimming stuff.
The big thing is if I need to cut a tree, it will work.

So as long as you stick with the Ryobi batts , it seems to do ok ?

I have a 15+yr old Mac Cat -McCullough chain saw that works great - I have replaced chains of course and tune/filter stuff but other than that, I say it rocks on like it was new . I just can’t see getting that kind of use/mileage out of a battery operated saw.
It isn’t like I use it every day or anything, but when I need it …..it works great ! I say I use it 4-5 times a year at the most. For like an hour or two at a time. Sometimes I may use it for an afternoon off and on trimming stuff.
The big thing is if I need to cut a tree, it will work.

I would say that goes for any of the brands on the batteries, use the real ones.

I've been researching/shopping but haven't picked up a battery chainsaw yet. There are a few guys I watch on YouTube that love their battery chainsaws for quick work; but haven't' given up their gas ones yet. The battery ones are great if you have a pile of batteries to feed them and can keep them charged to rotate, gas you just pour in more fuel/oil and keep going. A gallon of fuel lasts longer and is lighter than a pile of heavy batteries that you have to carry/charge. AND the biggest issue is that all current batteries available are less useful when it's cold and loose charge over time.

I would say that goes for any of the brands on the batteries, use the real ones.

I've been researching/shopping but haven't picked up a battery chainsaw yet. There are a few guys I watch on YouTube that love their battery chainsaws for quick work; but haven't' given up their gas ones yet. The battery ones are great if you have a pile of batteries to feed them and can keep them charged to rotate, gas you just pour in more fuel/oil and keep going. A gallon of fuel lasts longer and is lighter than a pile of heavy batteries that you have to carry/charge. AND the biggest issue is that all current batteries available are less useful when it's cold and loose charge over time.
Yeah I guess it would do for quick work. Like anything else, it pays to have the heavy duty tool for heavy duty work.
Something quick, lightweight then it probably would be better to have the battery pack so you don’t have to fiddle with the mess and all.
Thanks for the 411

I saw Ryobi came out with a 20inch version of their 40V model last year. Thinking about replacing my aging Stihl 025 gas chainsaw. Anyone have any regrets buying electric. I know the batteries are $$ but they have no name brand ones cheaper on ebay. I only use mine a few times a year althoguh in the winter I keep it in my truck in case I can help out neightbors ectView attachment 6739384

I’ve got one. It works great. I also have a Ryobi push mower with a slightly larger battery. They interchange so I’ve got more battery power than I have stamina to cut or mow! If I had to use a saw all the time I’d never consider one. But for the occasional tree down around the house it works great.

Back
Top Bottom