• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Electric Smokers

stalker1911

Default rank <500 posts Supporter
Survivalist
5   0
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has experience with electric smokers. I have always been a traditionalist when it come to smoking my Q. Smoker with an offset fire box etc. But a friend has one and has made some pretty good Q from it. Just looking for some opinions good, bad. Seems to involve less baby sitting than a traditional smoker.
Thanks.

My Smokin' Tex has done some serious smoking for years. I will never be without one.

Exhibit# 566

image.jpeg

My inexperienced opinion is that smoke is smoke and temperature is temperature. What form of energy provides both is irrelavant. Am I wrong?
Huh? I think we are in the same opinion. We do several charity bbq outings per year. Last one 600# of butt at once and 200# the next morning. Beef and pork will only take smoke for the first 1-3 hours. Get it all with, in my opinion, apple and pecan then. Then we put a bicycle lock on it and sleep. Gas heat with a thermostat. Next morning.... Magic.

Electric does the same thing, regulate the heat for the rest of the cooking cycle. Sat it and go to bed. At home I use propane for heat but constantly have to adjust temp. Same results but more work. The electric probably wont last as long as the electric components don't do well over time with the elements unless you take it inside. But set it at 225 throw a brisket on, if it is a pellet fed set smoke and the next morning the same magic.

The difference is how much you want to inject into the process.

I've got a Bradley. I'm too lazy to babysit one all day. Was looking for that program it and leave it alone type. Each wood puck burns 20 minutes and then another one rolls in on the conveyor. Timer for the smoke and timer for the heat and temp. Idiot proof.
You don't get a "smoke ring" in the meat with an electric for some reason ,but I can't taste a difference...

Back
Top Bottom