• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Electric Smokers

My inexperienced opinion is that smoke is smoke and temperature is temperature. What form of energy provides both is irrelavant. Am I wrong?
I agree, I use charcoal my self but have had some damn fun stuff roll out of an electric smoker at different friends house's.

If anybody would like to show off their skills

Saturday September 24th @ Dellinger Park in Cartersville, Ga is the Pros VS Joes BBQ cook-off. I help host this event and we always have a blast. Its the cheapest way to get into competitions and help a great cause at the same time!

I see a few brands, are any better than others?
Good question!! As I have smoked longer than most and use three different one's. It all depends on the length of your passion for cooking. I have a Kamado that I have had for 35+yrs and rebuilt several times. It is now referred to as a Green egg but, mine is real clay and with that it cannot get over 300 degrees, or it will crack. It requires attention and with the correct air venting, can yield some of the best Q you will ever have. Mine requires more lump charcoal every three hrs. Then their is the Masterbuilt, digital controls outside wood chip feed, and I use it for smoked fish and jerky.
Then I have the reverse flow unit for bigger projects. I live in the mountains and get apple peach and cherry wood for smoking..Go down to hunting camp and get the Pecan, and hickory wood. Start simple learn rubs, injections and remember all need spritzing with you desired flavor, I prefer apple juice..Good luck with your journey.

Thanks Dinky, I have a BGE but don't use it as often as I want due to the time involved. Loved smoked food and looking for something a little quicker.

Thanks Dinky, I have a BGE but don't use it as often as I want due to the time involved. Loved smoked food and looking for something a little quicker.
Smoking anything is not quick!! Turkey even 20lbs take about 3-4 hrs at the least in a Green egg..Good thing is now they are made of Ceramic. Which can handle much higher heat..The Masterbuilt electric can cook it all!! The nice thing is I equate the to a Crock pot. Put it all in set the temp and the timer and will shut off when done...Still need to spritz and add wet wood chips, I also put apple juice in the tray below that catch the drippings..Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom